AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just looking for some opinions on extension mounts. Currently I have a 50 inch daytime plasma PX80 for daytime tv viewing, and occasional video gaming in summer months here in canada where it stays brighter later.

Now I went with a px80 because this area doubles as a projector screen area for a 94 inch screen 16:9, and 2:35:1 screen, all movies are watched on that, and 90 percent of video gaming is done on that, some occasional hd tv is watched. Since its mainly a theater area and 75 percent of viewing is done on the projector my seating is 14 feet back.

Anyway I was thinking of purchasing a wall mount that i can pull the plasma out. My seating is 14 feet away, basically for my home theater setup, so when viewing the plasma it seems small. Purchasing an extension mount can cut off about 2 feet, so I will be within 12 feet which would be much better.

Im just wondering if its worth it, or these mounts the more i read have alot of issues? I keep reading alot of them wont be able to support a plasma without sagging, sometimes they tilt, sometimes their hard to move forward and back, they lean forward and dont stay in place.

Does anyone have some input on this. I have a nice clean setup right now, ideally it would be best if i had a 58 inch flush mounted but unfortunately most critical viewing is done on projector so thats where my money goes. I could upgrade the plasma this year but really I would rather do a projector upgrade since the plasmas really just used for sd, hdtv, and the odd videogame session when it stays brighter out. Should I live with the 14 feet and clean flush look, or can i get a mount that i can pull out and push back easily, or will it sag, be difficult to move, bend and just be a nightmare?

· Registered
5,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately i cant move the seating up.

I would really be curious what others think especially from experience.

It seemed like a great idea just pull it forward and out sometimes if i want to. Then I did read alot of amazon and monoprice people claim if you have a heavy plasma like panasonic at 50 inches it will sag, some are very hard to pull out and put back, some tilt, if any plasma owners do this, I would love to hear from them.

It would be so ideal just to purchase a new plasma a bit bigger for piece of mind, but then I have to think I could have purchased a new projector for that, which gets used about 50 percent more.

· Premium Member
18,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/18121233

....I was thinking of purchasing a wall mount that i can pull the plasma out. My seating is 14 feet away, basically for my home theater setup, so when viewing the plasma it seems small. Purchasing an extension mount can cut off about 2 feet, so I will be within 12 feet which would be much better.

Im just wondering if its worth it, or these mounts the more i read have a lot of issues? I keep reading a lot of them wont be able to support a plasma without sagging, sometimes they tilt, sometimes their hard to move forward and back, they lean forward and dont stay in place.......Should I live with the 14 feet and clean flush look, or can i get a mount that i can pull out and push back easily, or will it sag, be difficult to move, bend and just be a nightmare?

Some articulated mounts are better than others. The ones where people are reporting bending or sagging are very cheap ones that aren't as strong as their specs claim. The design that seems to have problems is where there are two arms coming from the wall portion then transitions to a single arm to the TV like this design:

These tend to twist at the joint where the single arm is sandwiched between the upper and lower arms and that twist also results in sagging. People like this type of mount when they want to turn the TV 90 degrees to the wall to point it at another part of the room (dining/kitchen area etc).

A better design that works well is the scissor-style similar to this one:

These tend to be more solid and don't twist, and are better for when you just want to pull it straight out from the wall but not turn it 90 degrees to the side.

If you do want a single arm mount, the good brands like Peerless etc are very solid and don't sag like the cheaper ones (i have an older PLA50 and it's solid as a rock with zero sag).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.