AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Just looking for a good solution to download movies to my windows pc for playback on Plex. I would like to purchase these movies and not distribute them out, just stream them to other devices in my house. What is everyone else using for this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Buy AppleTV's and and use iTunes, that's the only remotely consumer friendly way.

The second easiest option is Google Play Movies and a Chromecast dongle.

You can't use Plex to stream DRM media and all services use DRM infested solutions, the so called cross platform movie industry way is through a system called Ultraviolet and that method is a total mess.

P.S. you cannot purchase Blu-ray downloads, only compressed HD copies.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330  /t/1523950/purchase-blueray-downloads/0_60#post_24521902

I believe Kaleidescape claims they have BD quality downloads for purchase. Requires their expensive hardware to play said content.

I agree about UV, after all this time it is just one big CF.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's what I am finding out. I have a roku and have a android and windows environment. I would not like to go with apple for many reasons, but mainly I already love the roku. I used amazon and was downloading my copy's through the unbox app for windows. I then removed drm using drm converter. That way worked but I just wanted an easier way.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat7810  /t/1523950/purchase-blueray-downloads#post_24524526

Yeah that's what I am finding out. I have a roku and have a android and windows environment. I would not like to go with apple for many reasons, but mainly I already love the roku. I used amazon and was downloading my copy's through the unbox app for windows. I then removed drm using drm converter. That way worked but I just wanted an easier way.
None of those is a Blu-ray download however.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330  /t/1523950/purchase-blueray-downloads#post_24521902

Buy AppleTV's and and use iTunes, that's the only remotely consumer friendly way.

You can't use Plex to stream DRM media and all services use DRM infested solutions, the so called cross platform movie industry way is through a system called Ultraviolet and that method is a total mess.

Not even remotely blu-ray quality

·
UHD Addict
38,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330  /t/1523950/purchase-blueray-downloads#post_24521902

BD content is also compressed.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1523950/purchase-blueray-downloads#post_24527390

BD content is also compressed.

There's compressed and there's compressed. iTunes is crap compared to BD. Don't get me wrong if I want to watch a silly comedy or wife wants to watch a chick flick, I'll stream for. iTunes. Any decent movie warrants a BD disk or equivalent quality download

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I know none of them are blu ray quality. That's my main issue. I guess I will just continue to buy blu ray disks.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat7810  /t/1523950/purchase-blueray-downloads/0_10#post_24529719

Yeah I know none of them are blu ray quality. That's my main issue. I guess I will just continue to buy blu ray disks.

You can always rip the Blu-ray discs to your PC. That's what I started doing after getting fed up with this , which is much, much worse with Blu-ray than it was with DVD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I agree. I do rip bluerays as well. Just was hoping they finally got a good alternative to this. I hardly go to a store anymore to buy blu rays, I guess amazon prime will be getting used much more.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland  /t/1523950/purchase-blueray-downloads#post_24522326

I believe Kaleidescape claims they have BD quality downloads for purchase.
Good day all.

Yes, as Wendell notes, Kaleidescape offers movie downloads to Kaleidescape Systems (including Cinema One) at full Blu-ray quality. The audio and video streams are the same as those on the physical disc - no additional compression.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Larsen  /t/1523950/purchase-blueray-downloads/0_60#post_24532465

Good day all.

Eric, welcome to AVS. I am going to ass-u-me you are the Eric Larsen of Kaleidescape, if true, it helps to identify yourself to the AVS members as such. AVS used to require all dealers and manufactures to put such info in a signature line or tag it to the end of any post. Any of the mods should be able to help you. If you are not that Eric then please disregard.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hi there.  Yes I am, and yes I will!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts