AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My warranty for my Showstopper expires next month. I've never had any trouble with my unit. I have an option with Circuit City to purchase a 3 year extended warranty for $99.99

Should I do this? I've never been sure about what to do in these situations. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The zeal with which the stores hawk them makes it obvious they're a good deal for them, which means they're only a good deal for the customer if the customer is especially risk-averse or has reason to think the seller's estimates for failure rate are low.

Lately, my standard response has been "That'll still cover it after I take it apart, right?", at which point the cashier usually drops the subject.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I think the extended warranty is worth it if:

1- You are perfectly happy with the recording capacity as it is.

2- You are satisfied with this level of technology and wish to keep it functional for 3 more years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
JTl, may I use your standard reply?? I like it -)

I caused some "real" problems (lol) for the poor kid working the register

at C.C. recently, when he asked for my phone number I told him nice and slow, 603 555-5555 ...............

..........20 minutes - 2 managers and a second register later they were finally able to complete the sale for me -)

I think I will also start to give them my postal code from my home town in Dublin Ireland when they ask for a ZIP......... although it may lead to some sort of a chain reaction meltdown of CC's network, we'll see

·
Registered
388 Posts
I usually recommend against it. They are betting that nothing will go wrong in 3 years. After dealing with almost 700 upgrade drives and fielding almost as many questions from people with hard drive problems, you can be almost 95% certain that you will have a hard drive problem within 3 years. But you have to ask yourself, how they are going to fix it. If a drive fails, you can upgrade it yourself to 60 hours for around $100 for the drive. That's the cost of the extended warranty. If it fails, you can get it fixed by Panasonic for $142.

Now, there are your trade-offs. There's no right or wrong with the extenede warranty. You have to make the call based on your comfort zone.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My experience is that if a consumer electronic device, that is frequently used, does not break down within the warranty period it will probably not break down within the extended warranty period.

The money you'd spend on the extended warranty would be better spent on a new device whenever the old one bites the dust.

It's pretty much like insurance on a vehicle or home. What you have to weigh is what the replacement cost is. If your vehicle is totaled in a collision, or your home is damaged by fire, you're looking at BIG bucks, so the insurance is worth it. OTOH, if a consumer electronic device breaks down, the cost isn't THAT great.

=Dave=

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.