Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have True Lies recorded off of HD HBO from over a year or so ago and am contemplating purchasing the D-Theater version on Ebay. Even though the HBO version is open matte I usually prefer OAR. Should I keep my recording or get the D-Theater tape?

All opinions welcome!

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The D-Theater version is noticeably softer. This is very obvious, so hold onto what you have.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I do not agree at all, the True Lies D-Theater is what Cameron intended and is so nice and detailed, it looks gorgeous and colorful and is plenty sharp, I love this tape along with it's full bitrate Dolby and DTS tracks

the scenes toward the end with Arn and Jamie escaping from torture look breathtakingly good

It is just about my favorite D-Theater title

that HBO "True Lies" airs the 29th of this month and a few times into September, I will see what it is all about then when I cap it

-Gary

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Gary, FOX took Cameron's transfer and added DVNR before mastering it for D-Theater. Why they did this no one knows. But it clearly looks inferior to the HBO transfer, which was made with Cameron's supervision.

I would love love LOVE to have the HBO SUper35 transfer with the DTS track. That would be something. Perhaps we will have a proper all around version on BlueRay.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Kris I get no macroblocking with Dish Network on Showtime HBO or HDNet movies, all other HD channels have it pretty bad, I would have thought cable would have been better than that, some cable co's do abuse HDTV though :mad:

-Gary

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
I hear ya. Showtime and InHD look the best on Comcast, and Discovery HD looks good too. Starz can be on the noisy side. HBO and Cinemax look incredible with most material but as soon as you get a lot of action on screen then you start seeing blocking. It is almost like they don't have enough bandwidth for the quality of presentation.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kris,

I see on Ebay that you are selling a True Lies D-Theater tape. What was your impression of it as far as picture and sound are concerned and also compared to other D-Theater tapes? Are you selling it because of sub par quality?

I use Dish network and get no microblocking on HBO or Shotime. My True Lies DVHS recording is flawless even in the many action scenes.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
My TRUE LIES from HBO was recorded long before the bandwidth police started to ruin everything.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan
Kris,

I see on Ebay that you are selling a True Lies D-Theater tape. What was your impression of it as far as picture and sound are concerned and also compared to other D-Theater tapes? Are you selling it because of sub par quality?

I use Dish network and get no microblocking on HBO or Shotime. My True Lies DVHS recording is flawless even in the many action scenes.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom

That is an extra copy I had. I had done a trade recently and managed to snag quite a few titles. A lot of them I had already but it was worth it for the ones I didn't have (Mulholland Drive, Bourne Identity, DVE 1080i) so I am getting rid of the ones I already had or didn't want.

True Lies is a keeper. I love the movie and the presentation is way better then the DVD release. I haven't seen the HBO presentation but I imagine I would be disappointed given HBO's track record lately.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Kris.

I imagine the D-Theater True Lies sounds quite a bit better than the rather thin sounding HBO version.

Tom

·
Registered
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell
that HBO "True Lies" airs the 29th of this month and a few times into September, I will see what it is all about then when I cap it

-Gary
Where on the HBO schedule do you see that? Is it on another channel?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gary,

Did you by chance check out True Lies on HBO HD on the 4th? If yes, did you compare it to your True Lies D-Theater tape?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Hum whats the word?? Sweet!!!, the True Lies on HBO was killer and I love the open matte showing

Anyone want my True Lies D-Theater tape for 75$ ??? :D

-Gary

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Quote:
Hum whats the word?? Sweet!!!, the True Lies on HBO was killer and I love the open matte showing

Anyone want my True Lies D-Theater tape for 75$ ??? :D

-Gary
I saw it too. Nice showing on HBO-HD. Can't wait for Resident Evil Apocalypse this Saturday on HBO-HD.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Me Too, only IF:

Was Resident Evil filmed 2.35:1 Scope Anamorphic or Super 35??

If it's Super 35 we will have a nice open matte showing, but if not it will be pan and scan/crop city :mad:

IMDB reports Anamorphic scope but they are wrong often

-Gary

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
RE was Super35.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Quote:
Me Too, only IF:

Was Resident Evil filmed 2.35:1 Scope Anamorphic or Super 35??

If it's Super 35 we will have a nice open matte showing, but if not it will be pan and scan/crop city :mad:

IMDB reports Anamorphic scope but they are wrong often

-Gary
When it was on Max(in july) I think it was Open matte.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.