AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost two years ago my foot slipped from the gas pedal and I drove into the garage. As a result two TV I had stored were damaged. My insurance is replacement cost. My time is running out to make purchases. I know I want a Sony XBR65X900F. I have the previous version and really like it. I have an opportunity to try a different manufacturer with the second TV. What stacks up to the XBR65X900F for under $1200?

·
Registered
43 Posts
From a big name manufacturer, the Samsung Q70 is on sale now and meets your budget. From a more budget brand, the Hisense H9F stands out. TCL 6 series QLED is strong too but has a 60Hz panel which may or may not be an issue for you. I believe the Vizio Quantum X is on sale at Costco and that is a very strong contender. Vizio P series Quantum (one level below the X) also meets the price criteria.

I would get the Samsung Q70 since it seems like the money is coming from insurance and not out of pocket. Vizio Quantum X may be better overall but I have more faith in Samsung quality control over all the other brands I listed.

Please note that I am assuming a 65 inch TV. If looking for something larger, I would wait for Black Friday and see what TCL is doing with the 2018 75 inch 6 series.

If you are okay with something smaller, wait for Black Friday and see if there is a 55 inch OLED going for cheap.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Almost two years ago my foot slipped from the gas pedal and I drove into the garage. As a result two TV I had stored were damaged. My insurance is replacement cost. My time is running out to make purchases. I know I want a Sony XBR65X900F. I have the previous version and really like it. I have an opportunity to try a different manufacturer with the second TV. What stacks up to the XBR65X900F for under $1200?
As you are probably aware, the X900F doesn't handle Dolby Vision well from an external source, such as an XBox1, Roku, 4K player, etc... It does well only with the internal apps. Sony has not pushed an update, and may never the way things are going. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Samsung IIRC doesn't even offer Dolby Vision. That may be a good or bad thing.
Vizio's models don't upscale poor signals (720p and 1080i) very well, so if you watch a lot of cable or satellite, it's a no go. Sony is about the best as far as processing.
I almost pulled the trigger on the 65X900F from AAFES. They had a really nice price on the 65", but couldn't due to the Dolby Vision issue. It seems inexcusable that their premium set still hasn't received a firmware update for external sources. I really like the LG 65E9 series, but it's nearly double the price of that deal on the Sony from AAFES.
In any event, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above, except the Vizio if you watch lower quality programming. Let us know. And be careful parking that vehicle!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Q7, Q8, 950. Black Friday pricing just around the corner, good timing. Or...stick with the 900.

I had a dell laptop with windows 10 that I almost ran over with the car, it was on purpose though.

Best

·
Registered
198 Posts
Q7, Q8, 950. Black Friday pricing just around the corner, good timing. Or...stick with the 900.

I had a dell laptop with windows 10 that I almost ran over with the car, it was on purpose though.

Best
I've looked for the 950 in all the black Friday add, I can't find it anywhere priced lower than it is at Best Buy now which is 2499 for the 75. Have you seen better

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
As you are probably aware, the X900F doesn't handle Dolby Vision well from an external source, such as an XBox1, Roku, 4K player, etc... It does well only with the internal apps. Sony has not pushed an update, and may never the way things are going. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Samsung IIRC doesn't even offer Dolby Vision. That may be a good or bad thing.
Vizio's models don't upscale poor signals (720p and 1080i) very well, so if you watch a lot of cable or satellite, it's a no go. Sony is about the best as far as processing.
I almost pulled the trigger on the 65X900F from AAFES. They had a really nice price on the 65", but couldn't due to the Dolby Vision issue. It seems inexcusable that their premium set still hasn't received a firmware update for external sources. I really like the LG 65E9 series, but it's nearly double the price of that deal on the Sony from AAFES.
In any event, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above, except the Vizio if you watch lower quality programming. Let us know. And be careful parking that vehicle!
Sony has provided X900F firmware updates addressing Dolby Vision and other issues in 2018 and 2019. Netflix and others have ongoing tussles with Dolby Vision, technical or source-related.

FWIW a AVS member has provided X900F settings for those in need (link).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3035662-2018-sony-xbr-900f-owners-settings-thread-8.html#post57551552

Hope this helps. Cheers. :)

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Samsung Q70R may please for a slightly darker room. No Dolby Vision or IMAX Enhanced, if that's important.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I'm going out this weekend to do comparisons. I had heard about the software update on the X900F to include Dolby Vision. Has anyone had any experience with the update?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've looked for the 950 in all the black Friday add, I can't find it anywhere priced lower than it is at Best Buy***************. Have you seen better

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Sony sets a minimum advertised price. I believe all the authorized dealers will be advertising them for similar pricing.

In general its not a trendsetting year for TVs so I doubt you are going to find much this year that was head and shoulders better than last years models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts