AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently moved from our house to a duplex that we are renting until next August. Our previous house had in-wall speakers that we used for a 5.1 setup. We would like to purchase a new TV and have it wall mounted so we had a AV installation company evaluate our room and current equipment. Since we are renting and do not want to run wires for speakers, they recommended the Yahmaha YSP-5100. Unfortunately this put the quote over what we were planning to spend. I'm trying to find out if it's worth the extra money for the YSP-5100 (over a standard soundbar) if we are going to be moving next August. We should be purchasing our next house so I don't think we would reuse the YSP-5100 for the main TV, but I could see it used for a guest room or bedroom. Just trying to get some thoughts and opinions. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I think that the Yamaha would be extreme overkill for a temporary install. I was the previous owner of a YSP wth the extra cost matched sub-woofer. The YSP was not bad, but had a number of short comings that made it seem less than an ideal value. I did also use it temporarily in the bedroom where the performance was better suited, but eventually made a gift of it to my 25 year old son and his family. A lot of the old man's playthings seem to go that route.

If you are really set on the Yamaha and its signal processing, I would look at the 4100. Most reviewers say it has an identical sonic signature at a smaller cost. At least it is a better value than the 5100 although still not a very good value.

Since this is temporary and may eventually be a bedroom/spare system, I would recommend something far less expensive that in some ways has better sound than either of the current Yamaha YSP's. Also both can be had for less than $300. Way less.
  1. JVC TH-BA1 - available by mail order only at most loctions. Best Buy and Amazon both have good pricing on line. My current soundbar and that of a number of other satisfied users on this forum. True 4.1 channel sound with the center channel synthisized. The Yamaha does synthisized 5.1 only but a good job of it. Connectivity is limited to two optical and one analog input, so this may not be ideal for everyone. Cleanest, most detailed sound of any soundbar I have auditoned as well as a small wireless sub-woofer that has the fasted most detailed bass I have ever heard from any inexpensive system.
  2. Sony CT-150/CT-350. I include both of these units together as they are nearly the same. Very good sound. I have been exposed to both in several home setups and have not heard anything that would make me consider one above the other except for price. The 150 can usually be had for $50 - $100 less than the 350. Excellent connectivity with three HDMI ports plus optical and analog. Does synthisized surround but seems to do it more realistically than any Yamaha that I have been exposed to. Only caveat is the remote sensor located in the sub-woofer which means the sub-woofer needs to be line of site with the remote unless you use an infra-red extender.

Vizio also has several sound bars available that have good to excellent sound. I am hesitant to recommend either as it appears Vizio has had a number of quality control issues for 2010.

If you want to spend next to nothing and still have good sound, you may find one of last year's Vizio soundbars, VSB-200, at Wal-Mart or CostCo for less than $100. Good sound. A little short on connectvity, one digital, two analog inputs. Also makes a great bedroom speaker as that is where mine from last year currently resides. My black lab sleeps on the bed most of the day listening to MP3's from the 60's and 70's and does not complain. Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast (not beast as usually quoted).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drfreeman60,

Thank you for your reply. I was interested in the YSP as I used to enjoy watching movies at our previous house. With the upcoming new TV and the addition of a BlueRay player I was looking forward to watching some of the movies I missed in theaters (especially Transformers). I liked the recommendation of the YSP as we have an older Denon receiver without HDMI and the YSP would allow us to make use of newer components with HDMI. Additionally, we already have a Definitive subwoofer and I liked that we would be able to use this wirelessly. Again, my hesitation comes from the fact that this is only a temporary arrangement and I'm hoping my next arrangement will allow for something better. I'm living with my mom, planning to move out when she moves in August, and I don't plan on taking the YSP with me, unless for a bedroom setup. I'm not sure where I will end up so the thought of the YSP was nice, but I figured worse case, I could by the latest and greatest at that time. The other option is that the YSP would go with my mom, but she has already expressed that she isn't interested in it. We were recommended the Samsung HW-C450 in place of the YSP so I will need to do some research on that. I will look into your recommendations as well. Thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts