AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good day,

I just upgraded my Home Theater with a new 3D capable projector. I don't plan to watch a lot of 3D content but would like to try it out. Currently I just have a touch screen PC hooked up to the projector and an audio out via USB.

Will a regular PC play 3D or do I need a special graphics card? Is there one media player for PC (VLC, etc.) that is the choice for 3D?

The projector does have more than one HDMI input so I could add another source if needed, but I'd have to figure out how to connect two devices to my speakers. My preference would be to just continue to use the PC as the source, but it does not have even a bluray drive (just a regular DVD player).

Sorry if these are simplistic questions. I am very new to 3D and it isn't really a thing I want to put a lot of effort or equipment into...I just want to try it out since my new projector is supposed to be good for 3D.

Thanks for any suggestions.

PS. The projector is the Sony VPLHW40ES and I read that the PS3 3D glasses work well with it. If anyone has opinions on the best 3D glasses to pair (without spending too much) with this projector I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Buy a 3D BR player ( they are relatively cheap ) and rent or buy 3d BR discs. The use of a HTPC or reg PC for 3D in full frame packed format (the best format ) is possible but will cost far more then a new stand alone BR player and be difficult to setup. If you want to see lower resolution 3D any of the SBS format files found on the internet (YouTube etc. ) should work for any PC with HDMI output. You have a very good 3D projector get a stand alone BR player and see what very good 3D really looks like.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buy a 3D BR player ( they are relatively cheap ) and rent or buy 3d BR discs. The use of a HTPC or reg PC for 3D in full frame packed format (the best format ) is possible but will cost far more then a new stand alone BR player and be difficult to setup. If you want to see lower resolution 3D any of the SBS format files found on the internet (YouTube etc. ) should work for any PC with HDMI output. You have a very good 3D projector get a stand alone BR player and see what very good 3D really looks like.
Thank you for the reply. If I get a BR player, I'd like to get one that is very good at playing video files off of a USB drive so I can dispense with the PC altogether. Any suggestions?

I do have a PS3 in another room hooked up to a big screen TV, but I could move that over to the HT set up. I've used that to stream from Amazon Instant Video and it does a good job for that but have never used it for 3D bluray.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
PS3 should work fine for 3D BR playback. (for some reason they just don't have as much pop out as a BR player , can't do Dolby true HD audio for 3D and no MKV playback). The Opo BR player are the high end BR players and should be able to play most anything you want off USB but are expensive. I can't recommend a BR player as I use a NAS with KODI front ends. But for 3D BR playback I use an old Panny 110 that works just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts