AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having playback issues as (I have read here from other people) many people are having with Sony Pictures DVD's. My HTPC has worked flawlessly for about two years but in the last couple of months it's started locking up on certain DVD's. I don't want to copy them, I just want to enjoy the added picture quality the HTPC can offer.

So I purchased AnyDVD yesterday 1/16/07 (originally was using DVD43) in hopes it would solve my Computer playback problems, more specifically with "Hollow Man II" by Sony Pictures. After installation, it's still locking up my HTPC after it plays awhile. I thought AnyDVD was suppose to have solved the Sony DVD playback issues. I believe sony is inserting bad sectors that causes the computer DVD player to lock up. When I look at the info from AnyDVD it says no bad sectors found. Any one been able to get around the Sony DVD Playback issue? I also had the same problem with the DVD "RV", I believe it's by Columbia pictures.

I am Using Zoom Player Pro, Win DVD 6 and FFdshow filters.

AMD 64 3400+, Radeon X1300 Video Card.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderdea /forum/post/0

...it's still locking up my HTPC after it plays awhile...causes the computer DVD player to lock up...

Which is it? The Player application not responding, or the entire system freezing?

If the former, try a different Player; if the latter, monitor your temps (as it "takes awhile") and also your voltages.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's kind of both. With the old DVD43 installed the whole system locked up and I had to do a soft reboot (occasionally Ctrl Alt + Del would work). With AnyDVD I was at least able to Ctrl Alt + Del and get out of the program. I tried WinDVD 6, only and then ZoomPlayer using the WinDVD codecs. Still locked up after a time. I tried other DVD's that I know worked fine (Like Superman Returns, Warner Brothers) it didn't have a problem. Also my system is pretty stable and temperatures are reasonable.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:

I have been having playback issues as (I have read here from other people) many people are having with Sony Pictures DVD's. My HTPC has worked flawlessly for about two years but in the last couple of months it's started locking up on certain DVD's. I don't want to copy them, I just want to enjoy the added picture quality the HTPC can offer.

So I purchased AnyDVD yesterday 1/16/07 (originally was using DVD43) in hopes it would solve my Computer playback problems, more specifically with "Hollow Man II" by Sony Pictures. After installation, it's still locking up my HTPC after it plays awhile. I thought AnyDVD was suppose to have solved the Sony DVD playback issues. I believe sony is inserting bad sectors that causes the computer DVD player to lock up. When I look at the info from AnyDVD it says no bad sectors found. Any one been able to get around the Sony DVD Playback issue? I also had the same problem with the DVD "RV", I believe it's by Columbia pictures.

I am Using Zoom Player Pro, Win DVD 6 and FFdshow filters.

AMD 64 3400+, Radeon X1300 Video Card.

First off is your first problem is your movie selection
Hollow Man II???? Really???

Aside from your movie selection, its is a know fact that Sony adds aditional DRM fetures to your software/medium remeber the huge sony DRM fiasco that installed root kits on your PC from audio cd's not too long ago???

First off try disableing auto run in windows, so to make sure that no sony software can be installed or running when you insert the DVD.

After you disable auto run, with AnyDVD running, right click on teh any dvd red fox icon by your clock, make sure the check box next to enable anydvd is checked, then go into the settings, under the video dvd section, check the box that says remove adverts, and choose the radio button that says jump to main movie.

After you have done all that see if it helps.

and if all that doesn't help, it could just be that your DVD can't handle the bad sectors, and a newer DVD drive like the popular Toshiba's, or Plextor, or Liteon will help with that, those three brands tend to have the best reading capabilities I have seen in PC DVD drives.

- Josh

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Josh,

I'll double check the AnyDVD settings tonight but except for the auto run, I'm pretty sure that I have AnyDVD set as you suggested.

As far as my DVD selection goes, I'd have to agree with you except that Hollow Man II was a Christmas present from my daughter. Need I say more. What it did however, was make me realize that I was having an HTPC, DVD playback problem that I had only noticed on very rare occasions in the past 2 years. WinDVD6, ZoomPlayer Pro, FFDshow and DVD43 was my staple and in most cases worked flawlessly. In fact I hadn't changed things in so long, I had to pull out my documentations to re-familiarize myself with my setting and the software.

I at present I have a Plextor 716a DVD-RW with the latest firmware and it was purchased in Feb 2005 and it's not as if it is used every day. I would be suppressed if that's the issue.

Also a question about AnyDVD's capability of running the DVD player at a slower speed. Is that a good thing? I know quieter is better in an HTPC but what effect does it have ion the player and the does it effect playback. Haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Do you have any other computers that you can try the DVD on? I have a Plextor DVD writer in my current HTPC, and I have to say it is not the most robust in terms of dealing with poor quality DVDs. It doesn't handle scratches as well as my cheap old Lite-On DVDROM drive in my media server. It could very well be the DVD drive.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Not like it will do any good, but don't forget to complain to Sony...

Troy

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I updated the Plestor DVD firmware last night to the very latest which was only one revision newer than the one I had. Turned off auto run and checked the AnyDVD settings. All were set as suggested by Josh. I put the Sony DVD back in and thought I was home free as it played for an hour and 20 minutes, then locked up ZoomPlayer. I was able to Ctrl Alt + Del to get out of ZP but couldn't eject the DVD. As I was shutting down the HTPC I was then able to manually eject the DVD. Very frustrating and VERY time consuming.

Also I'll ask his question again:

A question about AnyDVD's capability of running the DVD player at a slower speed. Is that a good thing? I know quieter is better in an HTPC but what effect does it have on the player and does it effect playback. I'm a bit apprehensive on trying it until I know how it affects the players performance and operation.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:

A question about AnyDVD's capability of running the DVD player at a slower speed. Is that a good thing? I know quieter is better in an HTPC but what effect does it have on the player and does it effect playback. I'm a bit apprehensive on trying it until I know how it affects the players performance and operation.

It's my understanding that a DVD is only played at 1x speed. If that is so, then what's the advantage of running the DVD drive faster?

Mez

·
Registered
514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldritch /forum/post/0

It's my understanding that a DVD is only played at 1x speed. If that is so, then what's the advantage of running the DVD drive faster?

Mez

It's normally NOT spinned at 1x. It's spinning at much higher speeds and then read from in small parts so that the software recieves it at 1x.

The setting is there because the high spinning speed is noisy and not nessesary,

so by reducing speed to 1x or 2x you get rid of the noise.

For thouse with Plextor drives or at least the model 716, you don't need to use the slowdown setting in AnyDVD as Plextor drives has an incorporated slowdown in the drives firmware when the disc is a DVD-Video

Henrik

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I uninstalled DVD43 and also removed any remants from the registry. What sent me to AnyDVD was that when I tried to update from DVD43 vsn 5.2 to the latest vsn 3.9. When I tried to launch, it kept looking for drivers and wouldn't launch. Also the maker of DVD43 has basically stopped any changes to it because if legal issues.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinobi /forum/post/0

It's normally NOT spinned at 1x. It's spinning at much higher speeds and then read from in small parts so that the software recieves it at 1x.

The setting is there because the high spinning speed is noisy and not nessesary,

so by reducing speed to 1x or 2x you get rid of the noise.

I agree. That's why I asked what was the advantage of running at a higher speed. In a round about way, I was answering his question about running the drive at a lower speed.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc /forum/post/0

rip it with "ripit4me". Play from harddrive. If it still locks up its not the sony disks. There is something else wrong with the computer

I'm with Herc. Start elliminating the possibilities and the solution will present itself.

Also, as a rule of thumb, I backup ALL DVDs (ESPECIALLY Sony dvds) on a seperate PC and remove everything except the main movie. That way I have no chance of "infecting" my HTPC with anything "hidden".

BT

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I got one movie that cause problems in a computer, The Art of War.

Not a great flick but haven't been able to run/read it in several computers with different drives.

Works without problems in a STB.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.