AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
afternoon all,

i just recieved my crown 402 today and hooked it up to my reciever. problem is, even with gains all the way up on the crown i can barely hear anything from my speakers. oddly enough, when i turn my reciever off all the sudden the green "signal" light appears on the crown and the music is hearable, but very distorted. below are pictures of how i have everything connected:

1. http://gallery.upshizzle.com/albums/...6STRE845_B.JPG

ive circled where i am making my connections. i am coming from my computers sound card with a 1/8" to an RCA pair and connecting those to the input, and then running an RCA from the output of the reciever to the input of the crown.

2. here are pictures of my actual amp and reciever and how i have them wired:

http://gallery.upshizzle.com/albums/05.07/DSCN2881.JPG

http://gallery.upshizzle.com/albums/05.07/DSCN2882.JPG

ive noticed mention of the art cleanbox, which may solve my problems, but something seems amiss in my wiring. perhaps someone can take a look and suggest any shortcomings

·
Registered
102 Posts
I could be wrong here but I think your misunderstanding what the "audio output" is really intended for on your receiver.

It is for passing a the SIGNAL OUT to a TV/receiver/DAC/preamp ext. what your doing is esentaly like just hooking up the output on a dvd play directly to the amp. the signal isn't being prossesed at all (thats why the volume knob on your receiver isn't doing anything for you)

Sorry to say but from the looks of it, your receiver doesn't have the appropriate outputs to use with an external amp.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Sorry to break the news, but that ain't gonna work...

You need pre-out jacks on the receiver and, if it's exactly like the one in the photos, you don't have 'em.

That amp isn't going to do you a bit of good in your system as-is because there are no variable-level preamp outputs for the front speakers.

The best you could do with that gear is to get a speaker-to-line-level converter, similar to this , and run the amp from the front speaker terminals that way. Speaker wires run from the receiver terminals to the converter terminals, then your amp plugs into the converter RCA jacks.

Otherwise, you are SOL and need a different receiver that has pre-outs.

BTW, you're probably lucky you didn't manage to get the audio going. You could easily have fed a strong signal to the amp which would have resulted in high power output from the amp and possibly damaged your speakers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Is your purpose 2-ch/stereo, or home theater?

What is the make/model of the sub you have?

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you're using this for a home theater setup and are going to have several input devices such as a TV, CD, DVD, high-def format DVD player, etc, in use, I would stick with a receiver that has the capability to serve as a pre-amp for selected channels. This would allow you to keep all of the various connectivity and processing functions of a receiver, which a simpler pre-amp such as the ones above may not have. My Pioneer VSX-816 was relatively cheap when I bought it nearly a year ago and I'm sure it can be had for even less now. It has the ability to serve as a pre-amp for selected channels.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...6_rear_med.jpg

The ports highlighted in white to the top-right, right of the component connections are what one would connect an external amp to. It is capable of sending 7 channels to separate amplifiers not counting the sub.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/0

Is your purpose 2-ch/stereo, or home theater?

What is the make/model of the sub you have?

its two channel, i will eventually add my xbox into the mix, but i do not plan on adding any more speakers, so surround is not a concern. the sub is here:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...roducts_id=103

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here is my ultimate goal. i will be sending music wirelessly from my computer via a network player, and going from the RCA of the network player into a reciever/preamp of some kind. i hope to incorporate the crown, as well as the powered sub. the pre-out takes whatever the input is, be it CD, tape, whatever, and transmits a full-range signal to whatever is connected to it, is that correct?

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
Correct, and it's a signal that is controlled by the volume. Oh, one more thing. If you're using a sub woofer, the pre out may exclude the sub frequencies which would be routed to the sub out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno /forum/post/0

Correct, and it's a signal that is controlled by the volume. Oh, one more thing. If you're using a sub woofer, the pre out may exclude the sub frequencies which would be routed to the sub out.

oh? what if the reciever/preamp doesnt have a designated sub-out? is it then reasonable to assume that both preouts are full range? and what frequencies would they exclude? that seems bothersome to me, as i have floorstanders capable of playing ~40hz

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokuro /forum/post/0

oh? what if the reciever/preamp doesnt have a designated sub-out? is it then reasonable to assume that both preouts are full range? and what frequencies would they exclude? that seems bothersome to me, as i have floorstanders capable of playing ~40hz

There are many possible ways to connect this stuff, but you need something with pre-outs (or the adapter I linked to previously) to drive the Crown amp.

If you don't care about a high-pass filter for the main speakers get a stereo preamp and use y-cables to split the pre-outs to the sub and to the Crown amp.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/0

If you don't care about a high-pass filter for the main speakers, then just get a stereo preamp. Use y-cables to split the pre-outs to the sub and to the Crown amp.

interesting. so i would only need 1 preout, and i could just use the crossover on my sub to control higher frequencies. any drawbacks to that?

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokuro /forum/post/0

interesting. so i would only need 1 preout, and i could just use the crossover on my sub to control higher frequencies. any drawbacks to that?

You would be doubling the bass at certain frequencies and causing lumpy response.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Depends on the sub. Afaik, on most subs the line-level outputs are merely full-range pass though so it probably would not act as a high-pass filter in that scenario. Usually, (but not always) a sub's internal crossover only works on the high-level/speaker connections.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i see. thanks guys, im learning a lot. do some preamp/recievers allow for me to set crossover settings of the pre amp outputs? the sub i have on order has a variable crossover from 50-100 hz, and my speakers claim to have a response of: 27Hz-20kHz. could i simply eliminate the lumps using a BFD?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
In order for the preamp or receiver to be able to do the crossover, it would need to have subwoofer/low-pass outputs and also outputs (either full-range and/or high-pass) to feed the Crown amp (or the main speakers.

There are many options for setting up a sub and speakers that are discussed in threads on this forum. Briefly, some options (and these are only a few of them) are...

Get an AVR (audio/video receiver) and use the built-in crossover/bass management/room equalization settings.

Get a 2-ch receiver or pre-amp and use the sub's low-pass filter/crossover for the sub adjustment and run the Crown/main speakers full range. Or, you could tweak this slightly by putting some "bass blockers" between the sub's line-level pass-throughs that would act as high-pass filters for the main speakers.

Use the 2-ch receiver/ or pre-amp with an outboard crossover to split the signal to the sub and Crown amp

Use what you have and get that speaker-level to line-level converter to drive the Crown amp since the Sony receiver has some crossover/bass management capability.

Probably the simplest approach and one that provides for the best future expandabilty is simply to get an AVR and use the built-in functions that I previously mentioned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.