I just purchased the following:

Stand:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...3T57N&v=glance

TV:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

HTIB:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...A3CZV&v=glance

Playstation3(Blu-Ray)

My theater space is 12x12. I plan on running the speaker wires under the carpet to hide them.

My question: How many HDMI cable's should I need? How many feet of speaker wire should I need? Or what other accessories should I look into?

Sorry for being a total newb. Sorta new to this ...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Why not in your ceiling? For a 12x12 I would recommend 150 to 200ft of speaker wire;just to be safe, there is nothing worse than screwing up somewhere along the line for measuring and then needing more wire. I would recommend a 14 gauge wire. Monoprice has spools of the stuff for cheap. Same with HDMI. You don't say what you are hooking up. More details might help.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 /forum/post/16978702

Why not in your ceiling? For a 12x12 I would recommend 150 to 200ft of speaker wire;just to be safe, there is nothing worse than screwing up somewhere along the line for measuring and then needing more wire. I would recommend a 14 gauge wire. Monoprice has spools of the stuff for cheap. Same with HDMI. You don't say what you are hooking up. More details might help.

I live in base housing(Air Force) so putting teh wire in the walls is a no go.

after everything is bought I'll have TV, cable box, ps3, and audio reciever.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Basically a HDMI cable for each device that requires it. Other than that use the advice I gave you and you should be fine. Enjoy your setup.

Oh also you may want to look into logitech's line of harmony universal remotes. I've had one for years and love it. need to upgrade.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Good selection of gear. With that HDTV and that sized room, you'll be able to get about 2 rows of seating and about 6-8 seats maximum. The size of the surround sound "sweet spot" is probably the biggest constraint. You could place 2-4 seats or a comfortable couch or sectional sofa in the center of the room and another row behind those.

Start by laying out the room and seating. Think about light control for any windows. With an LCD TV, you don't need total room darkening, but a blind or roller shade to block direct sunlight from each window would be nice. If you are using conventional furniture for seating, you want the whole family to have comfortable seats and have a plan for guests. (Even folding chairs will work.)

Lay out the speaker locations. The center front goes in your cabinet, the R and L front and R and L surround speakers on floor stands to get them at the approximate ear hieght of the seated audience. Alternatively they can be mounted on wall brackets and aimed slightly down towards the seats. You will be calibrating the surround setup for the center front seat, and will need the distance from that location to each speaker in feet for A/V receiver setup. The subwoofer is best in a room corner.

You can make the HDMI reciever the central hub for switching all your video sources provided you have enough HDMI inputs. You need one HDMI cable to get the video from the receiver to the HDTV, and one for each video source (PS3 and cable box in this case). Use the Surround Receiver remote to switch sources. A universal remote will be difficult because the HDTV and A/V receiver and (most likely) the cable box will be infrared and the PS3 has a Bluetooth remote. Worry about that later, just start with the 4 remotes (PS3, Cable, A/V receiver, and HDTV). You will need to use the PS3 remote and the HDTV remote, likely the TV remote can be programmed to operate the surround receiver and cable box. The TV remote will be used for picture tweeking and aspect ratio changes.

I would buy a 50' spool of speaker wire rather than buy it by the foot. Make detailed plans and have fun.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarat /forum/post/16977940

I plan on running the speaker wires under the carpet to hide them.

The wires will eventually fray and possibly short-out if placed under carpet. Much better to route the speaker wire around the edge of the room under the baseboard.

+1 on the monoprice.com suggestion, great price on quality items with fast shipping.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/16979785

A universal remote will be difficult because the HDTV and A/V receiver and (most likely) the cable box will be infrared and the PS3 has a Bluetooth remote.

I haven't seen a universal remote integrating Bluetooth for the PS3 yet, too.

However, Logitech has an "IR2BT" adapter/converter nowadays which works well with Logitech's Harmony remotes but is relatively expensive - especially as an "additional item". (Yes, I know that there are even more expensive solutions but Logitech pumps this out in volumes!).

If one uses the PS3 very often for media playback and already has a Harmony remote one can risk taking a look at it, IMHO.

Quote:
Worry about that later, just start with the 4 remotes (PS3, Cable, A/V receiver, and HDTV).

The PS3 remote is relatively inexpensive but it's layout is terrible in places, IMHO. The PS3-pad is even worse for media playback, of course, but one should really think about spending the money for it if one plans to buy a universal remote anyway.

bye

Benny42

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.