AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working for a heli skiing resort in BC Canada for the winter, and they just decided to upgrade all their chalets to HD, leaving all the SD receivers available for us in staff accommodations.

I have 2 staff housing motels that I have wired with RG6, one with 22 rooms and one with 30. I'm thinking the easiest way to distribute signal would be one 24 and one 36 way switch. My only problem is ordering them. Googling I haven't been able to find anywhere in Canada or the US that sells them to the public, only the UK.

Does anyone know where I could purchase one 5x24 and one 5x36 multiswitch that will ship to Canada?

If you have any ideas on how to better distribute the signal than this, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I didn't know they even made 5x24 multiswitches, let alone 5x36 Your best bet would be to go with a SWM system -- 3 modules in one building and 4 in the other. Each SWM can feed up to 8 tuners.

Or, a 3-way splitter with 3 5x8 multiswitches in one building, and a 4-way splitter with 4 5x8 multiswitches in the other building.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know they do make them ( as see in this link http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-s...ml#post9401786 ).

I was hoping to avoid splitters since this is a seasonal job and once I leave, there is no one permanent here that knows about satellite systems at all (they were using 5-600Mhz dollar store splitters to split satellite signal before I got here). Maybe I'll have to look at splitters, I want to place the order for parts by this friday.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Note that the SWM systems, while a great solution, are limited to the recent receivers. If the SD receivers are more than a few years old, they likely aren't SWM compatible.

Also, I think you'd find that the large multiswitches internally are just some splitters to two or three of the common-sized multiswitches. It's just wrapped into a nice package...

Jeff

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Nither of the 2 multiswitches linked to will work with DirecTVs current HD system (Ka/Ku). The old Phase III dishes (Ku only), yes, but not the Slimline dishes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts