AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching the Epson 6100 and Sanyo PLV-1080p for a couple of months, floating back and forth between which to buy. A couple of weeks back, BB had a great sale on the 6100, but now they are all gone (off the website, none to be found anywhere). I went to my local BB today, and now it seems neither unit is available (not locally at least, and it seems people are still waiting for 6100 sale orders).

Over in their Magnolia suite they have a Sony VPL-VW40, display model, for a very attractive price.

I've own one projector before, Panasonic AE-700, but tend to get caught up in the numbers game when comparing projectors. Now this Sony allegedly retails for $2995, yet it's only pushing 900 lumens (while the others under consideration push upto twice that).

I know it's a different class of PJ, but I'm having trouble doing a fair comparison between my options.

Oh, and of course, there's a part of me considering waiting for the Optoma HD20.

For details sake, this will be the centerpiece of a converted garage. One window, that will be full blacked out by curtains. Primary sources will be Directv HR-200 and Sony PS3 for Bluray discs and occassional gaming.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
If you do not live in NJ or NY, then there is a sale going on in two stores. One even has a lamp offer.

PM me if you want info.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, appreciate the info, unfortunately, due to credit availability, BB is currently my only choice.

What I'm looking for is whether a discounted LW40 is better than current priced 6100(which I may not even be able to get) or Sanyo 1080HD.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I believe that Sony Bravia at 900 lumens is measured differently from how Epson quotes their lumens. I wouldn't try to compare those 2 numbers. Look up the ANSI lumens for the two if you want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts