AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have been searching for a new DVD recorder to replace my old Philips DVD recorder. I am not interested in one with the build in HD since I normally just record my TV programs on DVD+RW so I can watch them when I travel overseas.

I have noticed that just about all the DVD recorders now have the anti-copy software which will prevent you from coping some TV programs.

When I was traveling in Hong Kong and China, I found that the DVD recorders being sold there do not have any copy protection and they can convert between PAL and NTSC so play back would not be a problem.

My question is that if I purchased a LG or Philips DVD recorder from Hong Kong and brought it back to the U.S., do anyone see any problem with this?

By the way, I have purchase DVD players from Hong Kong and China which plays fine here in the U.S. but just not sure about DVD recorders.

Also have anyone here purchased and brought back a DVD recorder from overseas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvernon /forum/post/17050393

The copy protection crappola is in the signal, not in the recorder, although some brands like Sony and Toshiba seem overly sensitive.

So I would not gain anything by purchasing a DVD recorder overseas in order to try and get around the copy protect then?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
No, you would not gain anything at all beyond an airline luggage penalty for too much baggage. The outrageous "copy protected broadcast" problem is largely confined to the USA, and is a combination of our insanely inept ATSC digital TV system + poorly designed tuners in the recorders + poorly designed "record inhibit detectors" in some recorders, even via their line inputs.

There are very few options to get around this, but an imported recorder is not one of them. If you will be recording the TV shows in USA, you need a recorder that is known to be accurate in detecting the copy protection flag (meaning it rarely prevents you from recording). The only two brands currently reliable are Magnavox and Panasonic. Even with these, occasional record lockouts happen. To completely avoid the broadcast protection, you need to connect a "protection filter" like a Sima or Grex, or better yet a true TBC (time base corrector), between your signal source and the recorder. If you have cable or satellite, this is easy: you wire the filter box between the line outputs of the decoder and the line inputs of the DVD recorder. If you get your TV free off-air with an antenna, its trickier. You would need a second recorder with ATSC tuner to use as the source, or one of the inexpensive accessory ATSC converter/tuners. This would again plug into the filter box or TBC, and that would feed your main recorder. A filter or TBC is the only 100% guaranteed solution to this problem, and would work with your existing recorder.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear /forum/post/17051937

No, you would not gain anything at all beyond an airline luggage penalty for too much baggage. The outrageous "copy protected broadcast" problem is largely confined to the USA, and is a combination of our insanely inept ATSC digital TV system + poorly designed tuners in the recorders + poorly designed "record inhibit detectors" in some recorders, even via their line inputs.

There are very few options to get around this, but an imported recorder is not one of them. If you will be recording the TV shows in USA, you need a recorder that is known to be accurate in detecting the copy protection flag (meaning it rarely prevents you from recording). The only two brands currently reliable are Magnavox and Panasonic. Even with these, occasional record lockouts happen. To completely avoid the broadcast protection, you need to connect a "protection filter" like a Sima or Grex, or better yet a true TBC (time base corrector), between your signal source and the recorder. If you have cable or satellite, this is easy: you wire the filter box between the line outputs of the decoder and the line inputs of the DVD recorder. If you get your TV free off-air with an antenna, its trickier. You would need a second recorder with ATSC tuner to use as the source, or one of the inexpensive accessory ATSC converter/tuners. This would again plug into the filter box or TBC, and that would feed your main recorder. A filter or TBC is the only 100% guaranteed solution to this problem, and would work with your existing recorder.

Thank you for your information. At least when I purchase my DVD recorder here in the U.S., I will have a warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.