AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finally making my way to the age of HDTV/LCD televisions. I have a little extra cash leftover from Christmas and have decided to make the purchase.

I'm trying to decide between the following models.

Note: I've read that the Sharp DVD/LCD combo's panel is actually made by Orion (Sansui) can anyone else confirm this?

As far as what I plan on using this television for:

Gaming (360)

DVD Playback

Television

And possibly as a monitor for screening slideshows, photos, etc. via my Laptop (I have a HP 24" LCD that I use for my desktop)

Also for a quick breakdown as far as pricing:

Sharp 32 DVD/LCD Combo

SPECS:

True 16:9 Aspect Ratio (1366 x 768) LCD Panel

displays 16:9 widescreen programs in their native aspect ratio without the need for scaling or other video processing.

Built-in Side-Loading Progressive Scan DVD Player is the ultimate in convenience!

Built-in ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners for DTV and analog TV viewing.

HDMI Input

for convenient connection to digital devices.

176º H x 176º V Viewing Angles

are so wide you can view Sharp LCD TVs from virtually anywhere in the room.

6 ms Response Time

to enjoy all fast-motion video without blurring or delay.

PC Input

easily turns your TV into a PC monitor.

Specifications

Screen Size 32" Class (31-1/2" Diagonal)

Panel Type Active Matrix (a-si TFT) LCD

Pixel Resolution WXGA (1366 x 768)

DVD Player Progressive Scan (Built-in)

Tuning System ATSC/QAM/NTSC

Brightness 400 cd/m2

Lamp Life 60,000 Hours1

Viewing Angles 176º H x 176º V

Dimensions (w x h x d)

TV and Stand: 31-3/8" x 22-15/16" x 9-9/16"

TV Only: 31-3/8" x 21-1/16" x 4-9/16"

Weight TV and Stand: 32.4 lbs.

TV Only: 29.2 lbs.

Sharp 32 LCD

General

Product Type

31.5" LCD TV

Digital Television Certification

HDTV

Video Interface

Component, composite, HDMI, S-Video

PC Interface

VGA (HD-15)

Dimensions

With stand

Width

30.6 in

Depth

9.1 in

Height

22.6 in

Weight

29.8 lbs

Enclosure Color

Black

Display

Diagonal Size

31.5" - widescreen

Technology

TFT active matrix

Resolution

1366 x 768

Display Format

720p

Image Aspect Ratio

16:9

Image Contrast Ratio

1500:1

Dynamic Contrast Ratio

7500:1

Brightness

450 cd/m2

Widescreen Modes

Zoom, Stretch, Sidebar

Viewing Angle

176 degrees

Viewing Angle (Vertical)

176 degrees

Pixel Response Time

6 ms

TV Tuner

Analog TV Tuner

NTSC

Digital TV Tuner

Digital TV Tuner

ATSC, QAM

Video Features

HDTV Ready

Yes

Analog Video Input Signals

NTSC

Audio System

Sound Output Mode

Stereo

Speakers Included

2 speakers

Output Power / Total

20 Watt

Speaker(s)

2 x right/left channel speaker - built-in - 10 Watt

Connections

Connector Type

2 x HDMI input ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) ¦ 2 x component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) ¦ 1 x RGB input ( 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ) ¦ 1 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) ¦ 2 x composite video input ( RCA phono ) ¦ 4 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) ¦ 1 x audio line-out

I plan on making the purchase this afternoon. I have decided that I will probably be picking up an extended warranty through Sharp as I don't trust CC

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have been looking at some 32" sets for the upstairs bedroom. I did see the Sharp with the DVD player built in and something occurred to me, does the DVD player upconvert?

About 3 years ago I bought four 32" Toshibas that had DVD players in them. They were for our trade show booth so it didn't matter, but why would you combine a 720p set with a DVD player that does not upconvert?

The CRT that this set will replace has a built in DVD player and my wife uses it often so it would save me some trouble, but not if it does not upconvert.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
While Sharp manufacturers and sells their glass to half a dozen other rebadgers and has numerous plants they also rebadge some product on the lower end small sizes since the profit margins are lean and competition in the small panels - the quality factor gets greatly diminshed.

In this day of Blu-Ray and 1080P 24fps and the extremely lower prices I'd considered these as junk and certainly not for HT quality viewing.

All-in-one Combo's suck - one is adding inferior to inferior to = GIGO.

If you have to go budget get a Quality Panny 85 series 32" or a Samsung and a quality upconvert like Oppo or a Blu-Ray as they can be had for $200 or less.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can also confirm Sharp doesn't use their panels in their smaller size TVs...I've been through two 26'' sets both with the same crappy defective CMO panels. (I guess there was a bad batch or something). Sharp has been horrible to deal with and keeps trying to convince me the panels are cracked or broken (so they don't have to honor the warranty I presume) but I've returned one to the online retailer and next one gets shipped back next week. No more Sharps for me. I'm terribly disappointed in their customer service and their quality control. However, to the original poster, I've read about people have both those models you have been looking at, and have been completely satisfied. I hope it works out for you, because if my panels weren't defective, I would have LOVED my 26'' TV. Great picture, great colors, so if you get a good panel stick with it you'll be more than satisfied. I truly hope it works out and ends up as a good experience for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.