AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a Samsung or Sony TV and would like to know if anyone else has noticed this effect:

On both types of ALL LCD or DPLs on display I notice than when a single bright color is displayed over a somewhat large area of the screen a shinyness or glitter effect occurs - it seems like the color justs sparkles. So what the heck is it that I see? and why no mention of this obvious distracting defect?

Also, when comparing a Sony HDTV CRT rear projection vs current LCD in my home the only thing I notice bad on the CRT is the reflection during the day and a slightly inferior shapness when displaying text (ESPN ticker) other than that the picture and contrast is superior in every way and the LCD has more noise on DVDs and shows slight stuttering or blurring motion (similar to a computer LCD with high response time). Why are the new sets so popular when in reality the picture quality is not all that great ? I am not bashing I just question why they cost twice as much ?

·
Registered
337 Posts
they cost twice as much for many reasons, most linked to the fact that they are newer technologies.

let's not forget that people paid up to $5000.00 for for 40" to 50" RP CRT HDTVs less than 5-6 years ago. Heck I paid $10K for a 64" Elite CRT RPTV about 5 years ago. Granted that is Canadian funds but that was still about $7500 US. You can get a 42" LCD for under $2K and a 60" LCD or DLP for about $3500 and the 60" XBR for under $5K.

now if you take inflation into account these TVs sell for less than half the price of what there equivalent size was back then.

Now I have to agree with you that the picture quality cannot touch a CRT. especially if you have the right lighting and especially when calibrated. NO WAY.

but if quality was all we needed there would be no such thing as LCD and DLP. People want more than just nice picture. New buyers are looking for the "cool factor" and these TVs bring that. Flat panels were the first to do this. nothing like a TV on your wall no thicker that the frame of a painting of equal size.

Now with DLP and LCD RPTVs they can get as big as our old CRT RPTVs but now they are half the size!!! My wife and I can carry a 50" together accross a room, maybe even up a flight of stairs. moving a CRT RPTV over 50" meant inviting your dearest friends for pizza and beers to trick them into helping you to lug that beast up a flight of steps. It takes 3 or 4 guys to lift it and navigate through corners if you don't have straps or something like that.

I prefer the best PQ however I am not alone in the world. many prefer these cool looking thin TVs that way 50 to 100 pounds instead of 200 to 400 pounds.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca
On both types of ALL LCD or DPLs on display I notice than when a single bright color is displayed over a somewhat large area of the screen a shinyness or glitter effect occurs - it seems like the color justs sparkles. So what the heck is it that I see? and why no mention of this obvious distracting defect?

Also, when comparing a Sony HDTV CRT rear projection vs current LCD in my home the only thing I notice bad on the CRT is the reflection during the day and a slightly inferior shapness when displaying text (ESPN ticker) other than that the picture and contrast is superior in every way and the LCD has more noise on DVDs and shows slight stuttering or blurring motion (similar to a computer LCD with high response time). Why are the new sets so popular when in reality the picture quality is not all that great ? I am not bashing I just question why they cost twice as much ?
Many have noted the issue of sparkling that you mention....most suggest that it is due to the screen material. Personally, I've rarely found it to be a distraction when watching the tv (rp lcd).

As to why the new sets are so popular....perhaps your experience is different but some believe that the dlp's and lcd's have very good picture quality. If you read some of the threads in this forum you'll see that many folks really enjoy their dlp/lcd sets despite your opinions of them (great color quality, wide viewing angle...far superior to crt's in some regards). In reality, the picture really is that great (in the opinion of at least some)...although it may depend on the precise model that you own...my own thought is that all dlp's and lcd's are not created equally. But those that are good can really deliver an excellent picture. More noise on dvd's? No way. Some dvd's, such as Sin City, any Star Wars and Spiderman look nearly HD quality on a good lcd. Maybe the issue is with your dvd player if you are not seeing great quality on a sony lcd. Motion blurring? Nope, haven't seen that on the tv either....except when the source is lousy. The rp lcd tv handles motion great...football, baseball all good. That still doesn't address the cost issue....but it's really not unusual to see new technologies at higher prices that tend to decline over time. That really doesn't surprise you, does it? The sony xs955 is down 25% at some venues since late last year. Forecasts are for further price drops in all of these technologies going forward.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am also shopping for a RPTV and going back and forth between a sammy dlp and sony lcd. I thought about just getting a CRT due to cost savings, but my wife and I both really dislike the bulkiness of them. I find the picture to be very nice on dlp and lcd's, therefore I will spend the money for the smaller package, but newer technology.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only thing that I notice is that on alot of DLP/LCD TVs dark images seem to blur.

Is this because they have the settings wrong in the stores?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only reason I brought up the sparkling effect is beacause 1. I thought I was crazy if I was the only one who noticed and 2.so many people complain about rainbows and screen door effect which are clearly not as noticable. In other words if you can live with the sparkles all else is minor and yet people constantly complain.

A recent thread suggested people give DLP a shot to see if they could adjust viewing habits to minimize rainbows if present and most people bashed this guy to death. In regular CRTs old and new HD ones, reflections were present for all sets but after some viewing time your mind gets adjusted to the proper focal point and learns not to focus on the reflected image so it becomes part of the background etc. No one complained about headaches convulsions or anything - strange.

I had to return my third Sony CRT based HDTV due to bad quality control and was not very happy to have to pay twice as much for a new set (though at least the color and size are a tad better) but I decided to give DLP a shot since LCD at least the Sony (highest rating) left a lot to be desired in terms of sheer PQ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.