AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much like allot of people I have read in the forums, I have put off buying a HDTV for nearly 2 years. Mine wasn't so much due to price, but due to wanting LCD screens to get larger, and better picture quality. My main question is what kind of experiences has anyone had with purchasing online? Online stores as well as places like Ebay. We all know that ordering online gives you a good chance to not pay sales tax, which is a good chunk of $$$ when your talking a $5K TV. Plus many places, even with shipping charges, are cheaper than the chain retail stores.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone has anything they can contribute?

·
Registered
35 Posts
i would rather walk into a store like Circuit City or best buy or any store that would give you at least a 30 or 60 day return policy incase the tv has problems. I recently (5 days ago) baught the 52 xbr3 from pc richards and it has some moderate clouding/uneven backlight and already called in for repair. I know theses stores charge a little bit higher than theses online dealers but at the end its worth it.

PS besides the clouding, this tv is UNREAL!!! I have xbox 360 and ps3 and both look unreal with bright and colorful picture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by noam325 /forum/post/0

i would rather walk into a store like Circuit City or best buy or any store that would give you at least a 30 or 60 day return policy incase the tv has problems. I recently (5 days ago) baught the 52 xbr3 from pc richards and it has some moderate clouding/uneven backlight and already called in for repair. I know theses stores charge a little bit higher than theses online dealers but at the end its worth it.

PS besides the clouding, this tv is UNREAL!!! I have xbox 360 and ps3 and both look unreal with bright and colorful picture.

Thanks NOAM325 for your advice. I am going to use all feedback to determine what I end up doing. Does your 52XBR3 have a manufacture date? That is another reason I am waiting a little longer is for them to get another month or two of models out to in hopes of making the chance of any clouding problems even less. Have you noticed your set being brighter than perhaps a 40, or 46? Another post I read said they said the 52's seemed much brighter.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought a 40XBR3 online earlier this month, but from an authorized Sony reseller (check sonystyle to see who's officially authorized). I could have gotten the TV for a good deal cheaper buying it on eBay or from a non authorized place (as always seems the case) but didn't want to chance it as I like having peace of mind for the validness of the warranty and serial number, plus I feel the TV is worth the price I was paying anyway (I have never seen a more beautiful looking TV IMHO). If I were to buy it at BB Magnolia, though, it would have been ideal in terms of being able to look at the set in person at the store before taking it home with me. Luckily, the set arrived in great condition with no damage to the box, and the straps still in place going around the box, and overall was to my liking so I feel it was a good transaction all in all. Most likely, a local courier via truck will be delivering the TV to you if you buy it online, and be prepared to assist them (or HIM in my case, just one person yes) if they ask for some help carrying your TV into your home if you aren't paying extra for white glove delivery.

You'll need to evaluate your own circumstances and see how buying online VS retail pros and cons adds up to you. For me, online was the better option, though if I were older and had the means (more money flexibility and access to a bigger vehicle), I would have probably went the BB route. I also read up on the clouding issue BEFORE ordering, and was wiling to take a risk and see if I could get a decent set. Not many people would take that risk.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am in your exact position. I am looking at the 40 in. XBR2 and can save about $600 on line vs. BB or CC.

But, in the end, even though I do not want to spend the extra money, I feel that for something that may come less than perfect, I will need a place with an easy return policy.

I am not happy about this, but it is piece of mind.

I will be watching this thread in case someone posts a very very reputiable online dealer, and then I am back to square one again.

Happy Hunting

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's too bad Sony Canada doesn't sell their XBR3 models on their website (sonystyle.ca) - otherwise, i would have purchased the 46" anytime now, presuming they would honor their free shipping perk. Only thing holding me back now is the delivery - my car is a 2 seater!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Btw, anyone know of any good Canadian on-line retailers that sell the 52/46"XBR3 models besides Sony in-store? Sonystyle, FS and BB don't carry it at all on-line. FS and BB don't carry it even instore...just the XBR2 line.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieStation /forum/post/0

I bought a 40XBR3 online earlier this month, but from an authorized Sony reseller (check sonystyle to see who's officially authorized).

Could you post the link? I checked sonystyle and couldn't find it. A search on the site for "authorized resellers" did not come up with any results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.