AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Denon 2910 has a Pure Direct mode which shuts off all the video circuitry to devote itself to audio.

I have a Denon 3805 receiver, and I don't use the Video Switching capabilities - can I shut this circuitry off (and will it increase audio quality)?

·
Registered
36 Posts
For audio quality it depends on your ear.

The 3805 has a pure direct mode that turns off all the video, display and electronic audio circuitry.

The bass management circuitry is not turned off in pure direct mode unless you set the sub woofer to off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does Pure Direct really sound that much better? What exactly is different? What type of audio differences are there? Maybe because my ears are untrained?!?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I guess the real question is you have the gear right there in front of you, and it costs absolutely nothing to try it for yourself and see if you can tell the difference....What are you waiting for?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voriand
The bass management circuitry is not turned off in pure direct mode unless you set the sub woofer to off.
The bass management is bypassed for both Direct and Pure Direct Modes (full range signals are sent to the front channels) but for Pure Direct the Denon's also generate an Analog filtered signal which is sent to the sub. You can of course switch this off if you want. :)

If your source is Analog then Pure Direct will give you 100% Analog bypass. If the source is Digital and you select Pure Direct then the Amp doubles up the DAC's to four per channel as well as generating sub output (which again is defeatable).

Here's a bit more info which I got from Denon about their modes:-

"Stereo with an analogue input, stays analogue as it passes through an analogue High-Pass Filter (if the speakers are configured to small) while a seperate but parallel signal goes to the DSP for Low-Pass filtering. In DIRECT Mode the Hi-Pass Filter is bypassed, while the digital Low-Pass is still active. In PURE DIRECT Mode, both the analogue High-Pass and digital Low-Pass are bypassed, however an analogue Low-Pass takes over, so in PURE DIRECT it is 100% analogue"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.