AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how you guys listen to music? Am in the shopping for new higher end speakers and was leaning on getting just two full range floorstanding speakers without a subwoofer as I was thinking this is the "proper" way of listening to music. I thought thats why there is a pure direct mode in a/v receivers is because that is how the artist intended their music to be listened to....I do understand the necessity of a sub in home theaters and I believe it is a must. I just wonder if trying to be "pure" without subwoofer but only full range speakers for music listening should be the way? Not starting a debate, just really asking your expert opinions.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
for music, I have preferred REL subs for this application for many years. Since they don't need LFE for bass, you can run the fronts full range and set the xover at the level that your speakers fall off in room. It then uses the LFE input for home theater use. I don't know why this isn't a real common application/design at this point, maybe rel has a patent etc as it just seems like its the best option.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick /forum/post/19556242

for music, I have preferred REL subs for this application for many years. Since they don't need LFE for bass, you can run the fronts full range and set the xover at the level that your speakers fall off in room. It then uses the LFE input for home theater use. I don't know why this isn't a real common application/design at this point, maybe rel has a patent etc as it just seems like its the best option.

That's a good suggestion because so far, I am using an HK 3485 with Infinity Primus 360 and a Primus Ps8 sub. I used the xover of the subs to 80 although I noticed that I have lowered the volume to the point that I don't know if I am hearing it anymore. I guess I'm good with the bass coming out of the towers. I am asking this as I am intending to change my listening system starting with speakers. I was looking for full range towers that will replace the Primus and I would get away with the sub. I know for sure I will need amps as I wanted to get better speakers and been looking and auditioning higher end speakers. Just something that maybe an Emotiva XPA-2 can make sing.

Also I am wondering about this with my marantz sr7002. I hear more bass when I listen on pure direct mode rather than on stereo mode (with the subwoofer on). Just wondering if any experienced the same thing. I know its not much of a speaker althought the Infinty Primus 360 sure works fine for me. I just have the itch of replacing my listening system in our game room as it will be my gift to myself as I will be 40 by the middle of next year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts