AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to figure out whether an HTPC is the right way to go for doing only processing. I would like to run my dvd player into it and then out to my pj at 720p/1080i.

I was thinking of the Holo3dgraph...will that plus any of their daughterboards allow me to do what Im looking to do? What would be the minimum requirements to run such a setup...from what I understand, the holo can be run almost completely independantly of the cpu. Im very new to the whole HTPC thing and I cant seem to find what Im looking for with searches...any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The H3D or SDI cards are the only way I know of to capture component video which would be the best quality output of a DVD player. However, you may not realize that these solutions will not scale a 480p output from a progressive-scan DVD player, they are strictly for 480i (interlaced DVD player output). When inputing 480i analog signals for digital scaling in a HTPC, two signal conversions occur (DVD digital to 480i analog, 480i analog to digital projector resolution).

This is the main reason that the best way to watch DVDs is to play them in a HTPC with a software DVD player where they are deinterlaced and scaled to the projector resolution in the digital signal domain. Then there is but one conversion (if using an analog VGA output) or no conversions (if driving the projector with DVI). No matter how good is your DVD player, a $29 DVD-ROM drive and a $40 piece of software will outperform it by a considerable margin.

Gary

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help...I did realize that the H3d only accepted the 480i, however I didnt realize it would be such a big difference if I used an HTPC dvd player instead of an external transport. I have looked through the faqs on htpcs but havent found any solid plans to just a dvd player htpc...are there any links out there I can read that have a piece by piece breakdown of a solid htpc dvd player/processer design?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Any PC with a modern video card has an extremely high quality resolution scaler - the HTPC benefits from years of PC Gaming in this regard.

Any HTPC with a capture card and Dscaler software is good at de-interlacing analog TV (either via an RF input to the tuner, or S-video from VCR/DSS/Cable TV).

DVD-ROM drive kits come with free player software - or you could use a popular solution like TheaterTek or X-Card.

Nothing has to be dedicated in a HTPC, $49 gets you the IMON infrared remote which allows you to switch between TV/HDTV/DVD/DSS/Games at the press of a button.

Start shopping here: http://www.digitalconnection.com/

At first HTC is a little overwhelming - but I haven't touched or tweeked mine in about a year - once you have it working, you needn't bother unless PCs fascinate you.

Regards,

Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.