AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide some help on getting Purevideo HD to work? I've installed the 93.71 drivers and i have a 7900GT card but after installing the drivers I don't see it listed as an available decoder. I tried GSpot and it seems they are just not there. I got it working once, but I had to reinstall PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and after that I haven't been able to get it to show in the hardware acceleration area in PowerDVD or in Gspot.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuncHwagon /forum/post/0

I'm not positive, but i think there is a purevideo for 8xxx series and another for 7xxx series. PV HD is not compatible with a 7900GT, only the GTX version. see cyberlink website for compatible GPUs.

Sorry, it's a EVGA 7950GT which is listed on their site of compatible video cards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuncHwagon /forum/post/0

I'm not positive, but i think there is a purevideo for 8xxx series and another for 7xxx series. PV HD is not compatible with a 7900GT, only the GTX version. see cyberlink website for compatible GPUs.

Also, on my primary machine it's the same deal and it has a 8800 GTS 640MB. There is no Purevideo HD listed either. I must be missing something....

·
Registered
288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklan /forum/post/0

Also, on my primary machine it's the same deal and it has a 8800 GTS 640MB. There is no Purevideo HD listed either. I must be missing something....

Purevideo HD is another name for Hardware Acceleration (as in PowerDVD ultra).

There are no codecs associated with as far as I know.

Kind of confusing as their is a purevideo codec for mpeg2.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
How does one check installed codecs? And how does one even toggle purevideo off and on??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballenjr /forum/post/0

Purevideo HD is another name for Hardware Acceleration (as in PowerDVD ultra).

There are no codecs associated with as far as I know.

Kind of confusing as their is a purevideo codec for mpeg2.

Hmm.... Ok. Well the hardware acceleration has been very jittery for me. Software plays it flawlessly but uses way to much processor to be a good solution.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

Quote:

Hmm.... Ok. Well the hardware acceleration has been very jittery for me. Software plays it flawlessly but uses way to much processor to be a good solution.

If you have good cooling on the CPU, I sometimes wonder, does it "really" make a difference if your CPU is at 40, 50, whatever % usage while doing certain things??
The damn things are DESIGNED to run that way...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/0

If you have good cooling on the CPU, I sometimes wonder, does it "really" make a difference if your CPU is at 40, 50, whatever % usage while doing certain things??
The damn things are DESIGNED to run that way...

True, but I guess I would like to know that the investment I made in the graphics card is actually doing something. Not to mention, if King Kong is running at 80-90% what will future releases run at? The only tests I've run so far are Serenity and King Kong. They both run with software acceleration perfectly. Does that mean all future HDDVD movies will run just as smooth? I guess I would like to create as much head room as possible, and I was counting on this card to help with that.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

Quote:

The only tests I've run so far are Serenity and King Kong. They both run with software acceleration perfectly.

Those are both VC1, so you'll have no chance with AVC/h264 titles unless you get some hardware acceleration in there.

Future titles _might_ increase in bitrate if they change the standard to increase the max, but it's only being talked about. Frankly I'd suspect they won't, because it'll make obselete a lot of expensive existing set-top boxes, and with codecs becoming more efficient all the time it's looking increasingly unnecessary.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You much like many of the folks including myself got a bumm deal on the high-end 7xxx cards when it comes to video. I have an 7950GT and it drops frames with 1080i with DXVA enabled. Using software rendering mode results in no dropped frames but introduces other issues. I have zero expectations for this card doing any good for x/h264, VC1 at this point. I would of assumed that 1080i MPEG2 playback would of been sorted out with by now with a 7950GT and keep in mind it's a ~$300.00 GPU.

As far as I'm concerned it's false advertising.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstepnio /forum/post/0

You much like many of the folks including myself got a bumm deal on the high-end 7xxx cards when it comes to video. I have an 7950GT and it drops frames with 1080i with DXVA enabled. Using software rendering mode results in no dropped frames but introduces other issues. I have zero expectations for this card doing any good for x/h264, VC1 at this point. I would of assumed that 1080i MPEG2 playback would of been sorted out with by now with a 7950GT and keep in mind it's a ~$300.00 GPU.

As far as I'm concerned it's false advertising.

This is very disappointing. There is absolutely no excuse for the 7950 being unable to play next gen HD. These cards are still int he $200+ range!! Well, I'm done buying hardware. I hope nvidia shows some shred of decency to their customers and makes this card work. The whole HD-DVD / Blu-Ray next gen stuff is becoming very discouraging with makers like nvidia forcing upgrades across the board when current hardware could run it fine.

·
Registered
592 Posts

Quote:

This is very disappointing. There is absolutely no excuse for the 7950 being unable to play next gen HD. These cards are still int he $200+ range!! Well, I'm done buying hardware. I hope nvidia shows some shred of decency to their customers and makes this card work. The whole HD-DVD / Blu-Ray next gen stuff is becoming very discouraging with makers like nvidia forcing upgrades across the board when current hardware could run it fine.

Yes, it would be disapointing if the card was unable to playback the next gen HD. The thing you missed is that I'm talking about crappy bitrate 1080i MPEG-2.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it took a while but there's finally a driver that worked for me. If any of you are having a problem getting smooth playback out of a 7950gt with PowerDVD Ultra this just fixed my problem. I've tested with Serenity and King Kong. They both averaged about 45% processor usage on my AMD x2 3800 and not jitters what so ever. Huge improvement over the 80-90% I was getting.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_162.15.html

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Sweeet, thanks for the drivers bro! For my 8600GTS, these new drivers absolutely ROCK so far. CPU useage went WAY down..........

·
Registered
140 Posts
why is it that they categorize "7 series" separately, but the driver there is much older? in the "8 series" driver, it says it supports all the cards and is 158.22. I have a 7600 GS and have horrible frame rate in some movies (like Pirates of the Carribean 2). I have an Intel 6300 processor (even bought a 6420 but it made not difference). i can only assume this is an issue with the video driver. I'm about to try 158.22 and if that doesn't help, 162.15...but Nvidia's site really sucks in this regard.

Also, I'm trying to understand the whole "purevideo" concept, but don't get it, even after reading their site. I tried a friend's copy of purevideo hd 1.02.233 but it also made no difference, so i uninstalled it. Does someone have a real world example of what my system should be like to watch avc blu-ray/hd-dvd with good quality?

i have the 6300 cpu, 2GB of 667mhz ram, 7600GS video card, with all video files on a hardware raid 5 set.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurot /forum/post/0

why is it that they categorize "7 series" separately, but the driver there is much older? in the "8 series" driver, it says it supports all the cards and is 158.22. I have a 7600 GS and have horrible frame rate in some movies (like Pirates of the Carribean 2). I have an Intel 6300 processor (even bought a 6420 but it made not difference). i can only assume this is an issue with the video driver. I'm about to try 158.22 and if that doesn't help, 162.15...but Nvidia's site really sucks in this regard.

Also, I'm trying to understand the whole "purevideo" concept, but don't get it, even after reading their site. I tried a friend's copy of purevideo hd 1.02.233 but it also made no difference, so i uninstalled it. Does someone have a real world example of what my system should be like to watch avc blu-ray/hd-dvd with good quality?

i have the 6300 cpu, 2GB of 667mhz ram, 7600GS video card, with all video files on a hardware raid 5 set.

The way I understand it now is Nvidia PurVideo is an installable audio/video decoder. (I have that installed too for playing standard DVD's) PureVideo HD however, is the technology in the driver that supports high resolution playback for hd-dvd and bluray using hardware acceleration. I wish they would have called it something different. It was very confusing for me at first too.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
purevideo is the interface for accelerating MPEG2 decode

purevideo HD is the interface for accelerating MPEG2, H.264

These functionalities are exposed at the driver level.

Different hardware has different levels of support.

In order to use these features you need a decoder that has been written explicitly to use the purevideo(HD) interface. The first decoder to support purevideo was written by nvidia themselves, since then they've liscened the API out to nero, cyberlink, intervideo so many different decoders now support purevideo and purevideo HD. nVidia never did develop their own purevideo HD decoder so in order to get purevideo HD you MUST use one of the 3rd party decoders.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.