1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup:

Athlon XP +2800 @ 2.083 Ghz

512 MB PC2100

Gigabyte AGP GeForce 6600 256MB (Passive cooling)

DVI > HDMI to Hitachi 51†16X9 HDTV

Output @ 1280X720

Decoder: NVDVD Purevideo 1.02-150

FFDShow Version: ????

ForceWare Version: 77.72

NVDVD settings: Anamorphic/Raw aspect, Hardware Acceleration On, Smart Deinterlace Control, Prefer VMR9, VMR pixel adaptive

DVD’s look great. I’m using ZoomPlayer Pro 4.5, VMR9 Renderless, Full Screen Exclusive. Much better than they did before, through my crappy old stand-alone player. I did a split screen comparison between the 2, and you can really see the difference. Its like night and day.

And Sage PQ is pretty good, too. Although I did have to turn on “Bob and Weave†in Sage because the picture got a little jumpy at times. But the 6600 & NVDVD do a great job of upscaling and cleaning up the analog cable signal for recorded TV. I guess I’m just wondering if there’s any settings I can change to make sure that I’m getting the best picture possible.

I know you can't use hardware acceleration and FFDShow together, but I tried using FFDShow anyway (forget which version), and had horrible results. Very choppy playback, and my CPU was pegged out. I pretty much only had Levels reduced by 1 (to convert colorspace), Lancosz4 Resize to 2.5x (1792x1200) Luma sharpen .50, and Output YV12. I also tried Lanczos 2 and resized to 2X (1440X960), but had basically the same results.

What settings should I have turned on (or off) to get everything I can out of PureVideo? Or should I be tweaking/using FFDShow? Should these settings I mentioned for FFDShow cripple my playback with this CPU setup? Or is something else to blame?

I'd rather use PureVideo instead of FFDShow, to decrease CPU usage. But if I have to use it to tweak the PQ, then I would like to get it as smooth as possible.

On a semi-related note, I downloaded a couple of the WMV-HD clips to check them out. The 720p ones look amazing and playback flawlessly (even when streamed over the network). But the 1080p ones are like watching a slideshow. Very, very choppy. Any ideas about this?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Your FFDShow settings are probably too high for your CPU and FFDShow version. You may be better off using PureVideo than FFDShow. I use FFDShow with my Athlon XP +3200 but am still trying to optimize my settings. I have not tried PureVideo and only would consider doing so if I ever concluded I'm not satisfied with FFDShow (not likely). I don't recall the FFDShow version I use though. Sorry, I can't help you much more than this.

You may want to try one or both of Andy's FFDShow versions HERE .

To get FFDShow working I suggest keeping your existing settings but try the following to see what your CPU and FFDShow verison can handle and what looks best. Try getting at least a 2.0 resize working before trying unsharp mask or gradual denoise.

1. resize 2.0, Simple resize

2. resize 2.0, Lanczos = default

3. resize 2.0, Lanczos = 1

4. add unsharp mask = 15 above resize

5. add gradual denoise = 15 directly below unsharp mask

·
Registered
665 Posts
NVDVD with PureVideo is using a really bad scaling algorithm but since you are only using 720p it may not be too apparent. ffdshow will certainly create a better PQ but how much is relative and objective. The best bang out of ffdshow will simply be to do Lanczos 2, and try some Luma sharpening to see if you like it. I generally just try to get the image back to its original sharpness it has at 480p but you can take it further if you want.

While Purevideo is pretty weak for film content it does have some nice features for video content so you may want to run in both environments depending on the type of content you are watching.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
The best bang out of ffdshow will simply be to do Lanczos 2, and try some Luma sharpening to see if you like it.
I agree with mlbdude. Definitely try Lanczos 2 as suggested. And then try adding unsharp mask and gradual denoise above it (or below it if your system can handle it). You also may want to compare this to a 2.0 resize with Lanczos 1 or default with some luma sharpening.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0gue9
My setup:

Athlon XP +2800 @ 2.083 Ghz

On a semi-related note, I downloaded a couple of the WMV-HD clips to check them out. The 720p ones look amazing and playback flawlessly (even when streamed over the network). But the 1080p ones are like watching a slideshow. Very, very choppy. Any ideas about this?
As I recall, Microsoft advises a 3.0 Ghz P4 minimum for 1080p WMV-HD. Maybe you are a bit short.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Microsoft advises a 3.0 Ghz P4 minimum for 1080p WMV-HD
That was in WMP9 days. WMP10 is much lighter on the CPU, plus recent nVidia and ATI drivers offer WMV decoding acceleration, too.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
edit- I updated to the latest nvdvd, besides digging up the old activation info it was painless.

How to you get to the PureVideo settings? I try to in ZP Pro but it says it's inaccessible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.