Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

It's been a while since I setup my HTPC and was just checking out the latest version of PureVideo...

Looks like it can offload some of the work to the GPU which my machine being an older P4 could really use...

I basically just upscale to 1776x1000 with a little sharpening and a deinterlace filter and CPU is most always maxed. Never had the horsepower for VMR9 so I'm using Overlays...

So just wondering, did anyone ever get PureVideo working with ZP and FFDshow?

Is there some way to get the CPU offloading benefits of PureVideo *and* get upscaling?

I've made a number of attempts, and problem is it crashes when I add FFDShow filter so I can't seem to get it to work with PureVideo. I've tried with and without DXVA (correct me if I'm wrong but DXVA is the only one with any hardware offloading benefit). Funny I can't even get the Nvidia postprocessing menu to come up, says 'unable to open a property page for the selected filter. This filter may require a playing grapth to be configured'. So basically no filters at all seem to work with PureVideo in ZP and before I spend a bunch of time installing different versions of ZP, FFD, etc I'd like to know if this is a dead end road or has anyone gotten this working.

Thanks in advance,

AC

Software:

Windows XP Pro

PureVideo: v1.02.185

ZP: 4.03 Pro

FFDShow: Aug 2 2004

(using older one since this was once found to be more efficient with my older P4)

Machine Specs:

P4 2.4B, 533FSB, 1GB DDR333, Nvidia 6800GT

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Short answer -Yes it is a dead end road. When ffdshow is put in the chain, the dxva feature in the decoder is disabled.

Hammer

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hammer,

Thanks. I had that feeling it wasn't going to work.

PureVideo seems more like a marketing gimmik thank anything...

So it looks like I'll have to go another option- maybe use PV for the DVD codec, then some seperate hardware solution to handle the upscaling. Seems like this must be somewhere on the market by now. It just costs too much bank to get pc hardware good enough to do VMR9 + upscaling and get that level of quality.

If anyone knows a seperate hardware solution for upscaling where I could still use my HTPC for media storage, feel free to post it here. I might start another thread though...

Thanks again,

AC

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticool
...PureVideo seems more like a marketing gimmik...
What is it you are watching that needs upscaling through FFDshow?

Most DVDs using ZP+PureVideo look very nice (DXVA enabled).

If your motherboard allows it, overclock your CPU (133MHz to 166MHz FSB; your RAM is already 166MHz),

you'll get a 3GHz computer that should allow you to add FFD in the chain and do everything in software.

Diogen.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diogen,

Thanks for the response- actually I'm just a big fan of upscaling, seems that no matter how clean the image is at native DVD resolution, it still looks far better with a not as 'clean' image but upscaled to 1080i. Maybe its because my TV supports 1080i that I can really see the difference...

Also, I should have noted that my PC is already overclocked ;-)

But I still can't get ZP to work with FFDShow and PV, even if all options in FFDShow are unchecked, it still crashes or throws the error above.

Any ideas why it isn't working? It would be nice to at least use PV in software mode...

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Hammer,

Thanks. I had that feeling it wasn't going to work.

PureVideo seems more like a marketing gimmik thank anything...
It's not a gimic, for it's purpose (namely deinterlacing) it works very well. (Note that ATI's AVIVO has the same limitation, DXVA only). DXVA doesn't offload arbitrary processing (ffdshow).

You do realize that even without ffdshow the video is still being upscaled (by the video card) to 1080i (assuming that's your output resolution).

And there are many a hardware/external scalers, perhaps you should look at the Video Processors Forum . Though you'll find there's not a good way to send PC output to them, you'd have to set your desktop res to 720x480.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
It's not a gimic, for it's purpose (namely deinterlacing) it works very well. (Note that ATI's AVIVO has the same limitation, DXVA only). DXVA doesn't offload arbitrary processing (ffdshow).

You do realize that even without ffdshow the video is still being upscaled (by the video card) to 1080i (assuming that's your output resolution).

And there are many a hardware/external scalers, perhaps you should look at the Video Processors Forum . Though you'll find there's not a good way to send PC output to them, you'd have to set your desktop res to 720x480.
Funny I actually *didn't* think my video card was upscaling to 1080i. I guess not all upscalers are created equal. FFDShow with lanczos (sp?) looks night and day better, almost like it was native 1080...

Sure seems like the best combo would be PureVideo + VMR9 + FFDshow upscaled to 1080. Again I just don't have the horsepower with the 2.4 P4. Wonder if anyone has this working and what HW they're using (?)

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
You really should be able to get at least 1440x960 out of ffdshow/laczos on that setup. I could do that on my P4 2.4 with a 6800.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
You really should be able to get at least 1440x960 out of ffdshow/laczos on that setup. I could do that on my P4 2.4 with a 6800.
OK, I started this in another thread but this title is really more on topic for future researchers so, combining...

This is the other thread that started it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=621092

Originally Posted by Mark_A_W

My Athlon 2400+ will Resize to 1920x1080 with Lanzcos2 (sharpen 1.3) with VRM9 Windowless on a Radeon 9500. Actually it does it fairly easily and I can add more filters if I like (not Denoise3d though).

There is something wrong with your PC, if should do pretty well. You should be using VRM9 Exclusive Renderless on a 6800.

-----------------------------------------

OK agreed, there must be something wrong with my system...

I do PC gaming and haven't seen any issues there so I don't think its my drivers, directx etc, but from this thread I'm suspecting my 6800gt:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=621694

If so I'll be pretty upset b/c I bought this card for my HTPC specifically. Anyway, can someone enlighten me as to what is the issue with this card?

BTW, I am using Lanczos (1?) anyway it doesn't say Lanczos2 so could this be a factor? I've had it running for over a year now...

And I am setting ZP DVD setting to VMR9 Windowless, but not sure how to get 'VRM9 Exclusive Renderless' don't think that was out when I built this PC. Please fill me in.

Also- I checked with perfmon, and sure enough, the problem is *not* CPU as its only running at around 75%.

Thanks again,

AC

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Lanzcos 2 just means lanzcos with parameter=2.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
FWIW, is your PC actually 2.4 that you OC'd beyond 2.4, or have you OC'd it TO 2.4?

And what happens if you don't OC it?
Its a 2.4 @ 2.88, been running fine for over a year, no heat issues etc. 2.4 was one of the best OC chips in history, of course the new king is the Athlon 64 3000+ which OCs to FX55 levels but that's another story...

So yeah I did try at stock 2.4 and 2.88 and even upped to 3ghz but still get the same issue. Again, my CPU is *not* maxed, there must be an issue with the 6800GT and the VMR9, tried windowless and renderless, still no go.

Any suggetions much appreciated.

Thanks,

AC

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Quote:
....my CPU is *not* maxed, there must be an issue with the 6800GT and the VMR9, tried windowless and renderless, still no go.
I'm lost, what EXACTLY is the problem?

Crashes?

No playback?

Error messages?

Black screen?

Tearing?

Stuttering?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You also need to upgrade Zoom Player to ver 4.51.

There, you can use Fullscreen Exclusive Renderless mode. There are 2 check marks you need to fill.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
You also need to upgrade Zoom Player to ver 4.51.

There, you can use Fullscreen Exclusive Renderless mode. There are 2 check marks you need to fill.
Yep, that was the trick, thanks!

I tried exclusive and it still stuttered a bit, then I checked the second checkbox 'Enable YUV Mixing on Renderless...' and frames are smooth even on the fastest motion scenes.

Thanks again all- problem solved :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.