AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, it has no name, but the walls are purple, and I needed a title for this thread!
Anyway, bought our current house a few years ago, and from the entrance nearest the driveway, when you walked in the door, you were in a room about 18' x 16'. You walk straight across the middle of the room to the door that goes into the living room. Kinda weird. Maybe it was used as a bedroom with it's own outside door? Maybe it was a garage converted into extra living space? I don't know, but it quickly became a place to just stack stuff up with an aisle down the middle leading from the exterior door to the living-room door. So about two years ago, I framed out a four-foot-wide hallway on the north and east walls, and I put a new door into the living room at the end of the hallway. What was left was a 12' x 14' room. Hmmm, any ideas what it could be used for? So yeah, it's small, and there are compromises everywhere, but two years later, I finally have a dedicated theater room. Work was slow for a long time, but for the past six months, I'd say, I finally buckled down and got it done. By "done," I just mean that we've started watching movies in there. Still work to do, like panels for the front wall, install the A-lens, entrance-way where the discs will be stored, etc. But hey, I'm close enough now that I can post this thread and not have to explain why nothing's been done for X number of months at a time.

Second post will be for current pictures, then maybe some along-the-way pictures after that. And about the along-the-way process, thanks to everyone at AVS and its users for providing a place to search out information. All the advice found on these forums has been priceless along the way.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yup, this is the color of the room when we moved in. This closet eventually becomes the entrance to the theater.

Equipment closet framed, and soffit started.

Door where the closet was.

Soffit construction.

Some paint by the equipment closet, and wallpaper on the wall. Getting some wallpaper up was a big milestone for the wife!

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Awesome second row!

What genius thought of those finished oak end pieces :D *
Yeah, beautiful, aren't they! ;) Thanks again RGB, we love having those real theater chairs. Sorry for the delay in responding, but once the projector went up . . .

The front row are Berkline 12006 motorized recliners that I bought from roman here on AVS a couple years ago. They sat in their boxes until recently. I picked them because a straight row of 4 is only 114" long. Currently using a Harman Kardon AVR 3600. I have an Integra DTR 40.5 that I'll be swapping in soon, I just don't have a setup mic or remote for it right now. Front speakers are MB Quart Vera's. They're out of production, and I got a good deal at Audio Advisor in Grand Rapids. Side and rear surrounds are Emotiva ERD-1's. The screen is a Silver Ticket ambient light rejecting 115" 2.35:1. The room is completely light controlled now, but my projector (LG CF3D) is a passive 3d projector, so it requires a screen that retains polarization. The lens is a Prismasonic HD6000.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I really like the walls...what sub is that?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice!

I assume the blue material on the wall is recycled denim batt insulation?
Yes, same material, but it's 12x12 panels from Bonded Logic called UltraSonic Acoustic Panels. Got them from Menards last year ridiculously cheap when they had a good sale +$10/pack rebate. It ended up being cheaper per square foot than buying full sheets of another material. They're only 1" thick, so good only for high frequencies. But I left the back edge and front on my riser open and stuffed with 12" of the pink stuff, plus stuffed fabric soffits, so I have low frequencies under control too.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Yeah, beautiful, aren't they! ;) Thanks again RGB, we love having those real theater chairs. Sorry for the delay in responding, but once the projector went up . . .

The front row are Berkline 12006 motorized recliners that I bought from roman here on AVS a couple years ago. They sat in their boxes until recently. I picked them because a straight row of 4 is only 114" long. .
Resurrecting the thread...

Just to highlight the importance of narrow, shared seat arms if your intended HT room is width limited like this one or my basement HT, which is about 13' wide, but 32'+ long.

This is why I like to use refurbed seats removed from commercial theater chains, like the Visteons I sold sulakd for his second row- very space efficient as a set, and no one ever complained about the seat width for comfort.

I currently use a set of four common-arm seats removed from the Emagine chain in SE MI a couple of years ago, for my second row.

My first row is a set of Booth Seating mechanical rockers taken from a 70s-80s era theater, stripped down to bare metal and rebuilt, refinished from scratch. Bought in 2000 and still smell like new fabric/foam :D.

The trendy thing in recent years appears to be to go with monstrous width/height leather recliners, even in neighborhood chains like a new Cinemark nearby. Comfortable, but people tend to fall asleep when fully reclined, plus the high backs may block rear sound. And the bulk size issue as mentioned for space constrained setups.

I like the classic 90's-2000's stadium/auditorium style...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Resurrecting the thread...

Just to highlight the importance of narrow, shared seat arms if your intended HT room is width limited like this one or my basement HT, which is about 13' wide, but 32'+ long.

This is why I like to use refurbed seats removed from commercial theater chains, like the Visteons I sold sulakd for his second row- very space efficient as a set, and no one ever complained about the seat width for comfort.

I currently use a set of four common-arm seats removed from the Emagine chain in SE MI a couple of years ago, for my second row.
Agreed that I don't have enough space for the monstrous recliners that are in my front row. More "real theater" seats like the ones I bought from you would have been better. On the other hand, can't beat the comfort of putting your legs up with motorized recline! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts