Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, fellows.

Upon having a succesful first experience last year with the JPS Labs AC Power cords(used to plugged my P300 Power Plants into the Richard Grays 1200S units, www.jpslabs.com/powercord.html ), I'm planning to replace -piece by piece- all stock power cords in my system by premium ones.

When it came to digital-based gear (Proceed AVP pre/pro), I wondered which of the several models offered by JPS would be the best cord choice. I wrote to JPS Labs's Joe Scubinsky, who for the pre/pro recommended me his The Digital AC, which is way less expensive than his new, ultra-premium Aluminata.

The reason for the superiority of The Digital AC for digital applications, he explained, is its ability to drop the noise floor (both noise from external sources plus the digital unit's own noise) from the digital unit by specific multi-stage digital filtration networks. So, in theory, The Digital AC cord isolates AND absorbs any noise outside of the audio range WITHIN the cord itself.

...Now, other than JPS Labs, I haven't found other manufacturers offering purpose-made power cords for digital-based gear. I see that other reputable makers, such as Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, Granite Audio, Harmonic Tech., etc., do not offer cords "taylor-made" for digital applications.

Two Questions:

1) What's the story with this purpose-made cord for digital gear? Do you buy the claimed theory and benefits? Any actual experience with The Digital AC out there?

2) For the specific case of a surround pre/pro, which power cords have you actually tried which gave you the maximum audio benefits? I am willing to invest up to about $1000 for that cord.

Thanks a lot for your advise, fellow

J.V.

·
Registered
809 Posts
A lot of the stuff is marketing hype. That being said, most audio gear that has detachable dords comes with $5 power cords so that the product can be brought to market a price point so that cords and cables can be a nice upgrade. Separating digital gear from analog gear so that they are not on the same circuit would be the better way to go. Getting an electrician to run a couple of receptacles on separate circuit breakers with separate grounding in my opinion would be a much better thing to do if possible. I got tired of most of the marketing hype and just started making my own. I took home a pair of $1,200 name brand speaker wire a few months back and it certainly was not terrible nor was it as good as I make. You also can't control what the power company does.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Indeed I find digital processors work best with purpose-made power cables. Clothesline, carrots, colophons; nothing seems to work as well as a cord purpose-made for power.

You must have one awesome system if your best use of $1000 is replacing a power cord on an AVP:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.