AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing that this feature, "standby pass-through" seems to be very popular lately. I'm having a difficult time imagining why this feature is useful. I've seen some people say they don't want to bother to "turn on" their receiver and all the other associated gear just to watch the news, or that the wife/kids find it complicated.

Why is this so? In my setup, it is MORE complicated to just turn on the TV without the receiver, since I just hit my programmed button "watch tv" on the remote and voila!, everything is turned on and configured. Is hitting a button on a remote so complicated?

Perhaps it's the volume? Why not simply turn down the volume and match it to the tv speaker perceived volume?

Is there something else I'm missing? I just don't understand why this feature is so desired.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Because some people have kids/wives who want to flip on the channel to watch the news without worrying about anything else. It fills that need very nicely.

Even basic AV systems are confusing to many people. Remember, many people struggled to program VCRs back in the day.

Another issue is that a full range AV system has low bass which they want to minimize at night and they feel that using TV speakers solves the problem.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19647976

Because some people have kids/wives who want to flip on the channel to watch the news without worrying about anything else. It fills that need very nicely.

Even basic AV systems are confusing to many people. Remember, many people struggled to program VCRs back in the day.

Another issue is that a full range AV system has low bass which they want to minimize at night and they feel that using TV speakers solves the problem.

I still don't understand.. how is it any more difficult to hit the "watch tv" button? Is it because people don't have programmable remotes such as a Harmony?! I can't imagine having a complicated multi-device modern system without a universal programmable remote of some sort... These people would be better served by buying a (what I consider) "normal" HT remote, than by seeking receivers with "standby passthrough".

As for the bass issue, that is more legitimate.. however, most receivers have a dynamic range compression technology that fixes this transparently. My Yamaha gives me full range at higher volumes, and adjusts bass and dialog at lower volumes automatically.

It isn't any more difficult to channel surf with a receiver turned on than without.. and it certainly isn't more difficult to press the "watch tv" button on the remote than it is to:

1) turn on the cable box

2) turn on the tv

Now.. if you have OTA or clearQAM directly on the TV.. (but of course, then the standby feature is pointless in that scenario!)

·
Registered
686 Posts
When I just want to watch TV very late at night or early in the AM (news, weather channel, etc) without annoying the rest of the family with the 9.2 system I just reach for the DirecTV remote that turns on both the satellite receiver and the TV set with the push of one button. No messing around with audio menus to select dynamic volume mode, etc.

How difficult is that?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotcheckBilly /forum/post/19648247

When I just want to watch TV very late at night or early in the AM (news, weather channel, etc) without annoying the rest of the family with the 9.2 system I just reach for the DirecTV remote that turns on both the satellite receiver and the TV set with the push of one button. No messing around with audio menus to select dynamic volume mode, etc.

How difficult is that?

I don't mess with audio menus and dynamic volume modes, etc.. it's already setup. It's transparent and works all the time..

I don't operate my receiver, my tv or my cable box.. I simply operate the system, as a whole.. That's why I'm having a difficult time envisioning how it can be any easier, when it's already an easy single button operation.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek /forum/post/19648021

I still don't understand.. how is it any more difficult to hit the "watch tv" button? Is it because people don't have programmable remotes such as a Harmony?!

Different strokes for different folks, it seems. Some just don't have a programmed remote, others don't want to have a receiver sucking power. Whatever their reasons, standby-pass-through is just another feature on receivers that are chock full of them, so I don't let it bother me.

And I'm one who has never used his TV speakers.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19648339

Different strokes for different folks, it seems. Some just don't have a programmed remote, others don't want to have a receiver sucking power. Whatever their reasons, standby-pass-through is just another feature on receivers that are chock full of them, so I don't let it bother me.

And I'm one who has never used his TV speakers.

Yeah I guess that's the ultimate answer.. one feature that I DO like and can't use is ARC (Audio Return Channel) ... on my TV (samsung plasma), in order to have ARC I must also enable HDMI-CEC. If HDMI-CEC is turned on, then EVERYTIME I turn on the TV, it switches the input on my receiver.. it's really, really aggravating and can't be defeated. (except by sending the input command again after some delay)

As for "standby pass-through", I guess I'll never understand it (the loudness argument is not valid.. just operate your volume control!) , but I'll let it be.

Maybe someday It'll be useful for something. Who knows.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek /forum/post/19648365

As for "standby pass-through", I guess I'll never understand it (the loudness argument is not valid.. just operate your volume control!) , but I'll let it be.

Well, truth be told, some of those cable news shows have it set up so when they do a musical sting, it BLARES out of the left/right fronts on the HD channels. If you turn it down, the talking heads mumble. It can be a bit aggravating.

Cable news sucks, is what I'm saying.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek /forum/post/19648365

Yeah I guess that's the ultimate answer.. one feature that I DO like and can't use is ARC (Audio Return Channel) ... on my TV (samsung plasma), in order to have ARC I must also enable HDMI-CEC. If HDMI-CEC is turned on, then EVERYTIME I turn on the TV, it switches the input on my receiver.. it's really, really aggravating and can't be defeated. (except by sending the input command again after some delay)

Maybe someday It'll be useful for something. Who knows.

That's pretty funny. You can't find your way to do some "sneaky programming" to get around an issue that "bugs" you but you have trouble understanding that lots and lots of people can't be bothered to do some "sneaky programming" (if their remotes allow it) to get around having to hit more than one button to turns stuff on and thus just rely on a feature to get around the issue when they really just want to watch some TV... :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I would like to have this feature in my receiver, but I don't. I have an Onkyo TX-NR805. I use my theater equipment strictly for movie viewing and listening to music. Every source component that has HDMI is connected straight to my receiver, except my HD DVR. It's connected via HDMI straight to my television and the audio is connected to my receiver via digital coax. This is how I get around not needing to have my receiver and all the rest of my equipment on to watch some programming that I consider not worthy of having everything powered on for. Such as some comedy sitcoms, occasional news viewing. Basically anything other than movies I have no desire to have my gear on for this stuff. In my opinion it is a waste to have 3 dedicated amps plus a receiver, and 4 subs on for this content. We all know that electronics have a certain number of hours that can be put on them before they give out. I just don't feel like wasting hours on certain amplifiers and components to watch content with lower quality audio. This is my opinion and I know very well that some use all their equipment when ever they turn on their TV and that is fine. I just don't desire to have to do this.

This really has nothing to do with just programming a Harmony remote to turn on everything. I don't want it all on all of the time. My next receiver or pre pro will probably have standby HDMI pass through and I will use it.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, if you have four subs and three amps, I can see keeping it turned off unless you want full on surround sound.

But some of us chumps just have a receiver and one sub and some middle of the road speakers.
I'm fine with watching any and everything through them.

But I am glad there are options for almost everyone.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/19649360

I would like to have this feature in my receiver, but I don't. I have an Onkyo TX-NR805. I use my theater equipment strictly for movie viewing and listening to music. Every source component that has HDMI is connected straight to my receiver, except my HD DVR. It's connected via HDMI straight to my television and the audio is connected to my receiver via digital coax. This is how I get around not needing to have my receiver and all the rest of my equipment on to watch some programming that I consider not worthy of having everything powered on for. Such as some comedy sitcoms, occasional news viewing. Basically anything other than movies I have no desire to have my gear on for this stuff. In my opinion it is a waste to have 3 dedicated amps plus a receiver, and 4 subs on for this content. We all know that electronics have a certain number of hours that can be put on them before they give out. I just don't feel like wasting hours on certain amplifiers and components to watch content with lower quality audio. This is my opinion and I know very well that some use all their equipment when ever they turn on their TV and that is fine. I just don't desire to have to do this.

This really has nothing to do with just programming a Harmony remote to turn on everything. I don't want it all on all of the time. My next receiver or pre pro will probably have standby HDMI pass through and I will use it.

This is the most sensible case I've heard for this feature... :)

I imagine that with such an extreme setup, you can even show substantial savings in your electrical bill!

Most of the people I've heard pining for the feature don't have such setups, however.. they usually want it because "it's too complicated" to turn on everything, "wife/kids don't want to worry about it" , or "it's too loud". None of those other reasons seemed like they called for this solution.. but in your case, it starts to make sense.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich /forum/post/19649117

That's pretty funny. You can't find your way to do some "sneaky programming" to get around an issue that "bugs" you but you have trouble understanding that lots and lots of people can't be bothered to do some "sneaky programming" (if their remotes allow it) to get around having to hit more than one button to turns stuff on and thus just rely on a feature to get around the issue when they really just want to watch some TV... :)

I know :) It IS funny! Like I said, there is a solution by sending the input command again, but it's annoying so I don't bother. Especially when I have an HTPC and a streaming blu-ray player I can use instead of the TV's built-in streaming features.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19649390

Yeah, if you have four subs and three amps, I can see keeping it turned off unless you want full on surround sound.

But some of us chumps just have a receiver and one sub and some middle of the road speakers.
I'm fine with watching any and everything through them.

But I am glad there are options for almost everyone.

You have a nice set up there.
My system started out smaller and grew into what it is today. It's not in a dedicated room. It's in a living room/theater room. It does have some room treatments. We do have other TV's in the house that we can watch, but we still watch programming in the main room that has the nicest TV in the house. Often without surround sound. Some day I hope to have a dedicated room.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts