AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into acquiring my 1st HTPC. After seeing Windows Media Center advertised everywhere, is this the best home media option available, or do other, similar options exist, and what are they? I'm thinking it might make better sense to equip. the pc w/ a high end video card (ATI 9800 Pro) or better, and integrate other software options for the "media center-like"capabilities, but I need to know if other media center(photo management, tv record, ffd, rewind, program guide, send wirelessly to other home computers, etc) options exist. Thank you for any/all your recommendations.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
The biggest advantage of Windows XP MCE is the interface that ties it all together. It is really nice, and the remote operation of everything that MCE does is very cool. There are standalone applications that by themselves do everything MCE does, and some do some of them better. But MCE ties it up in a nice package that anyone in my family (wife, parents, etc...) can use. However, you have to buy a computer already setup with MCE, as of now, you can't build one.

Dan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan for your feedback. I just wasn't sure if MCE limited your capabilities in any way, for example, if you were a "DVD-X Copy" user, and copying dvd's, or limits in other ways. For example, I've heard that the Gemstar TV Guide option w/ an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro card, becomes, useless by MCE. MCE actually nullifies this software feature of the ATI multimedia card. Whether this is true, or if it even matters, I don't know. MCE might have an even better tv guide offering. Not sure, do you know?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.