AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a briefing to the Washington press last Thursday, FCC Chairman Powell is reported to have said, "I would be sympathetic to those broadcasters who can’t meet the FCC’s May 1, 2002, deadline for turning the switch on digital TV transmissions. There is such a thing as pushing things into the market too fast."

Excuse me. How many years more is it going to take to get HDTV in the US? Only about 10% of the nation's commercial broadcasters are delivering some DTV broadcasts. Compare that with the Brits who have 75% of their broadcasters transmitting in digital and have started two years after the US. Oh yeah, the Brits have COFDM and we don't.....

·
Registered
830 Posts
You know those guys who went through the white house on the last days of the Clinton administration stealing all the "W" keys from the computers?

Maybe we can send them to Bob's house to take his "C" keys, so he won't be able to type COFDM.

(Just kidding, of course, but I've never seen someone beat a dead horse like this guy!)

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too bad you guys didn't have someone as HDTV-committed as me as FCC Commissioner about eight years ago. We'd all now be looking at and listening to HDTV 24/7/365 on every channel.

Too many Americans accept mediocrity, what a shame.....

·
Registered
235 Posts
It is unfair to compare England's sucsess rate to that of the U.S. First, you have very few television stations located in England. Second, they have far less viewers to convert. Third England's viewers are not intrenced in cable like the U.S. Last but not least,the U.S. is far greater in size.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Utne:
Compare that with the Brits who have 75% of their broadcasters transmitting in digital and have started two years after the US. Oh yeah, the Brits have COFDM and we don't.....
The Brits have tiny little transmitters and short distances to cover with their thinly disguised 'translator' broadcast system and they don't have HD! Get over it Bob, America is a big stick country with huges distances to cover from one transmitter location!! Maybe you're just a little stick kind of guy.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Let me see, FCC Commissioner-Bob Utley, Secretary of State-Sleepy, Secretary of defence-Grumpy, Secretary of Health-Doc, yeah guess it could work!

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"America is a big stick country"

Let's forget about urban dwellers and hit the trailor parks in the outlying areas with our big stick. About 95% of OTA TV viewers are urbanites or suburbians who suffer most from 8-VSB's multipath problems.

America is a country destined to come in last in OTA DTV....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
"America is a big stick country"

Let's forget about urban dwellers and hit the trailor parks in the outlying areas with our big stick. About 95% of OTA TV viewers are urbanites or suburbians who suffer most from 8-VSB's multipath problems.

America is a country destined to come in last in OTA DTV....
Most of those people watch cable or translators. The number of people watching deep fringe signals OTA directly, as oppposed to translators, is pretty small...hence the reason there are thousands of UHF translators OTA in this country. And there are lots of small satellite dishes in the sticks...take a tour out west...you'll find as many dishes as OTA UHF antennas. And in case you haven't figured it out, the 15 million small dish owners in this country have already done the transition to DTV.

·
Registered
684 Posts
And you know what Bob? We don't care. And if it all fails, we don't care. And 8VSB has been picked. And you know what, we don't care. We just don't care. So, get over it. If HDTV OTA fails or HDTV in general, ya know what - we don't care. We're not starving. We have food. We have many other things to do and be concerned about than give a rat's ass about a transmission standard.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
If we all chip in a buy you a GD HDTV set and an 8VSB receiver will you shut up?

------------------

Geof

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Figures that not one poster on here is upset about Powell's giving in to the broadcasters to allow them to further delay HDTV implementation. Bunch of *******. You fiddle around for hours, days, weeks, months on end and spend your hard-earned bucks, over and over again, to get that damn 8-VSB signal to work. Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, COFDM is going like gangbusters at minimal cost and with much easier reception than delivered by 8-VSB (according to all international tests).

No, I don't need charity. Just got off your butts and tell the FCC that you want HDTV now.

[This message has been edited by Bob Utne (edited 04-11-2001).]

·
Registered
684 Posts
Dear Mr. Powell,

I want HDTV now. I'm not happy with the delays expected to be given to broadcasters. I don't like 8VSB. I want COFDM. Let's stop everything and switch to COFDM. I'm all up in arms over the transmission standard. My life is practically ruined because of the selection. Please change it so my life will be back in order. I know you will listen to me Mr. Powell. Thank you.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Quote:
Another convert to rapid HDTV implementation http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif All we need is another 250 million more.
How is this. Let the broadcasters do what they want as long as they do 20 hours of HDTV per week the first year and increase that each year by 5 hours till they get to 40 minimum and they can't interfere with other stations. The MSTV test said that there was no difference in interference between COFDM and 8-VSB. Let the manufacturers sell what they want. Let the veiwers buy what they want. Let the market sort it out.

What is the worst case? Lots of choice, confusion, lots of opportunity, lower cost, maybe to get all the stations in a market you have to buy two boxes or a slightly more expensive box with both systems. I expect that even a dual box would soon cost less than what is being sold now.

Lots of advertising, lots more competition, innovative ideas and generally a rush for the gold. Sounds like fun.

As long as they mandate HDTV what is the risk?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.