AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to put a Davis projector (specifically I have the Viewsonic PJL-1030, which is a Davis DLX650 clone, but I'd guess it's the same for other models as well) into standby mode with a simple IR command? By using the supplied remote, I can put it into standby mode (i.e. turn off the lamp) by first pushing a button, then using the mouse on the remote to move the cursor to a spot, and then pushing another button.

The problem is that I'd like to program a remote to do this, and it would be impossible to teach the above sequence to a remote!

Are there any shortcut IR signals? Pronto ccf files? There *must* be Davis owners out there that have programmed their Pronto to turn off their projector...

Thanks in advance!

Mike

· Registered
410 Posts

· Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy:

...If you have a HTPC the programming cable arrangement will allow you to turn the projector off via SW and the SW can be triggered by an IR command (using Girder and IR keyboard or IRMan) HTPC only solution though sorry
I do have a programming cable and HTPC, and I'm using (well, starting to use) Girder. Is there a Girder file somewhere that will use the programming cable to do things (like shutoff and turn on) the Davis projector?

Lance - thanks for the pointer. Now that I have my cable, if I at least upgrade to 'K' (I currently have 'G'), I can get this functionality at least through the remote.

Thanks!

Mike

· Registered
145 Posts
I'm using a Viewsonic 830, the Davis 450 clone. I don't know if both projectors use the same IR codebase, but they probably do. I just downloaded a file from remotecentral for the Davis and programmed a macro for the off button:

1. Menu.

2. Right Button

3. Pause .1

4. Down Button

5. Pause .1

6. Click trigger/OK

A little low-tech, but it works fine. One right press and one down press, from a macro, put the cursor right in the middle of the off button.

Darren A. Schmidt

· Registered
464 Posts
I do this same thing. It would be great to have a discrete "OFF" code for the Davis projectors. How would one find out if such a thing exists?

------------------

-Peter

· Registered
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mflaster:
I do have a programming cable and HTPC, and I'm using (well, starting to use) Girder. Is there a Girder file somewhere that will use the programming cable to do things (like shutoff and turn on) the Davis projector?
Hey Mike,

You need to use Tim Smiths Davis Control program, there is a thread discussing it at:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/004001.html

It allows you to control the projector from the computer, you can setup hotkeys etc and then use girder to call the hotkeys.

------------------

lance

I'm looking for a job!

Resume online at http://resumes.dice.com/lkstitch

· Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Peter and Darren - just to summarize the link that Lance posted ( http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/004280.html ), if you have a "recent" version of the Davis software ("K" or "L" for the 650, don't know for the 450), then if you leave Zap 1 unassigned, zap 1 will turn on the projector, and if you leave zap 2 unassigned, zap 2 will turn off the projector.

Mike

· Registered
6,227 Posts
There are pronto CCF's for Davis units on remotecentral.com as I dont have a pronto I haven't tried them but if you do get a DL450 CCF that can shut the machine down with a discrete IR code then I will get a friend to load one and teach my TC1000...

...If you have a HTPC the programming cable arrangement will allow you to turn the projector off via SW and the SW can be triggered by an IR command (using Girder and IR keyboard or IRMan) HTPC only solution though sorry

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

· Registered
6,227 Posts
Lance, is your Viewsonic out the door ??? I know you have constantly tinkered with your projector Firmware so... If you still have it can you confirm this for a DL450..

Of course I am assuming that as long as Zaps stay unassigned you could teach a learning remote the code but if the zap then gets assigned the learning remote will just zap1 or zap2 instead... I am guessing that mouse remote does not produce too many unique IR codes (as this would be a function of the projector at Rx rather than remote at Tx) and that Davis are limited by the outputting HW ?!?! It would be nice if they could give us a discrete code in a SW revision for the HT peeps that could pronto or Hex it...

BTW I never have a problem powering up my Viewsonic (menu zap et al work) its just the off state...

------------------

[email protected]

· Registered
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy:
Lance, is your Viewsonic out the door ??? I know you have constantly tinkered with your projector Firmware so... If you still have it can you confirm this for a DL450..
Its not out the door yet, a friend of Darren's has bought it but has not picked it up yet.

Quote:

Of course I am assuming that as long as Zaps stay unassigned you could teach a learning remote the code but if the zap then gets assigned the learning remote will just zap1 or zap2 instead... I am guessing that mouse remote does not produce too many unique IR codes (as this would be a function of the projector at Rx rather than remote at Tx) and that Davis are limited by the outputting HW ?!?! It would be nice if they could give us a discrete code in a SW revision for the HT peeps that could pronto or Hex it...

BTW I never have a problem powering up my Viewsonic (menu zap et al work) its just the off state...
Unfortunately the discrete off code only seems to work on the new software for the DLX650, NOT the DL450. With the DL450 software you cannot unassign a zap key (as far as I know), the zap has to do something. The one button turn on is easy on the DL450 (just push a button on the remote), but there is not remote off.

Darren's solution using a macro sounds pretty good, even my cheap Cinema 7 learning remote should be able to do that with a macro.

------------------

lance

I'm looking for a job!

Resume online at http://resumes.dice.com/lkstitch

· Registered
6,227 Posts
I am sure it is possible but I am kinda anal about things like macro's working visibly on screen... I know that a flashed menu movement before off but just bug the hell out of me...

Ideally the Davis control program and Girder will fully automate my projector situation but until I fix the problems I am now having with it I cant say for sure...

You say you cannot unassign a zap key but they are unassigned unless you assign something to them... Is this just my misunderstanding of the way this was written ?? I assume (from the reports of you trying every firmware under the sun http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ) that you have tested this ??

Also what would you say was the best Firmware out ?? I remember a post where you wanted to retrograde as you where having problems ??

------------------

[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.