AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sony KD34XBR2 on order and while I'm looking forward to some great OTA signals, I still want my HBO to look great too?! Unfortunately, my source for HBO at this time is Adelphia "digital" cable. BARF!!!!!! I am fearing how this is going to look!

Simply put: What is the best source for HBO? (assume all common services are available to me and I could place a high gain antennae on the roof). If satellite is the route to go, which satellite service should I go choose????

I welcome your wisdom.

Six Feet Under Fan

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had both DirecTV and DishNetwork and I prefer DirecTV. There may be more HDTV programming on Dish right now , but their hardware sucks to put it bluntly. The remotes are horrible and the on screen guide looks like it came right out of the seventies. If you still like playing Pong it may be alright for you, but I couldn't wait to fill my commitment and be done with them. But if the DN purchase of DTV goes thru, who knows???

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well - technically - the "best" source for HBO would be a big dish with a 4DTV receiver. And when I say big, it varies by location but typically a 7 foot dish. I had one for years and loved it - you basically get the same feeds that DirectTV and DISH get before they apply all of their compression to it. I haven't been following the big dish technology so I don't know about HD content for that.

And there are all sorts of pros/cons to big dishes - I'll leave that to another conversation.

As for DISH's menu interface - yes the older NTSC receivers have very retro looking interfaces but the newer ones use their OpenTV interface which is much more modern looking and their DishPlayer uses nearly the same interface as DirectTV's Ultimate TV receiver. Their only HD receiver (the 6000) uses the old retro interface and it won't be upgraded. They do however have plans for a HD recording receiver (tentatively the 901) that is supposed to have a 120GB hard drive. It will have the OpenTV interface ( http://www.opentv.com ). Late next year was the last release date I heard for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.