AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of spec'ing out a media server with 8x120gb drives. It will be housed in a Lian Li PC70 tower case. The PC70 case has 4 built-in 80mm fans. 6 of the 8 drives will be installed in the 5.25" bays with brackets, while 2 will be housed in the 3.5" bay, along with a small 10GB drive for the OS. The drives are 5400rpm drives. The CPU is a Pentium III 1 GHz.

My question is - will the drives need extra cooling? Should I consider mounting them in removable trays with dedicated fans? The server will likely remain on 24/7, but I don't anticipate heavy usage except during the evenings when I'm ripping or watching a movie.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi

I use a pc-65 (smaller version of the pc-70, only 4 5.25" drive bays up top). I have 8 200GB drives mounted in that case.

5 are mouned vertically on their side in the caddy at the bottom of the case, two 80mm fans pull air over these and keep them cool.

3 are mounted horizontally in the 3.5" drive bays just above them. I added and extra 80mm fan to pull air over these to keep them cool.

A plextor cd reader and sony dvd burner sit on the two lowest 5.25" bays.

I also use a zalman 6000cu cooler, a rear 80mm fan and a 80mm fan in the top of the case, these all run on 7v.

The PC is pretty silent, but its mounted in a cupboard so this isn't an issue.

The drives run a RADI 5 array and with a couple of hours of simultaneous EAC ripping from both drives, temperatures stay in the mid 40's. The processor is a 2.8Ghz HT on an Intel mobo.

The LianLi cases are great, no complaints at all from this corner.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good news - sounds like your temps are fine. I'm sure your 200gb drives generate more heat than my 120gb 5400rpm drives will.

It sounds like you have 5 drives in the caddy right on top of one another? The caddy sits directly in front of 2 80mm fans, so I guess thats why they stay cool. But I'm still uncomfortable putting more than 3 in the caddy, so that there is some airflow between them.

How do you have your RAID configured? I thought I would run RAID 5 on 7 drives, leaving one for a spare. But I'm still undecided.

I also am running a 450 watt Enermax with two temp controlled fans. I've found that they move quite a bit of air on their own.

Bottom line sounds like I'll be fine without any extra cooling beyond the 4 80mm case fans and the PS.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lian Li havebeen clever enough to leave room between the drives mounted in the caddies.

The bottom caddy gets enough air flow from the two standard case fans which pull air over them.

The three drive caddy above that has no fans as standard, I mounted one in front of the caddy, between case and caddy and this pulls enough air to keep there temps down.

They all join the aluminium case so transfer heat the case well.

I have my array set up with the 8 200gb drives in a raid 5 array. I dont have a hot swap drive. I partioned a small 10GB partition from the RAID array for the operating system. The remaining 1.39TB stores audio/dvd data.

I bought a spare drive in case one fails.

Oh, when you connect your drives, power them from as many of the PSU leads as possible rather than extend one through them all, I had three drives fail in as many weeks when connected like that. Since I changed it its been rock solid.

Pm me if you want more specific advice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.