AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an older JVC G-10 unit and currently running an Atlas 500 w Bulb. It has worked fine and shading is not an issue with this bulb, when compared to the JVC original. How much stress on the power supply would occur if I plunked down a 550 Watt bulb in without any adjustments? I really don't want to fry my projector, especially this close to superbowl. I have had problems lighting my 500 watt Atlas at 800 hours. This picture is a bit darker, by in my opinion the blacks are better after a recal with dilard.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
If you are having problems with the 500w bulb why would you get a 550w? This clearly defies any logic I can recognize.

Seat the bulb properly, and or push the power up a little if you know what you are doing.

A 550w bulb isn't gonna solve your problems. The bulb runs at whatever the power supply is set to deliver. Going too high will just make the projector hotter and flip your thermal protection circut when you want it most. Like at :35 seconds to go in the fourth quarter on the 3 yard line to win the game.

If you truly think the bulb is having issues just get another one.

On the other hand, the bulb that Atlas sells to people may be rated for 550w as far as I know. I dont think it will hurt it, I just don't think going up in wattage per say is gonna solve your problems

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg
On the other hand, the bulb that Atlas sells to people may be rated for 550w as far as I know. I dont think it will hurt it, I just don't think going up in wattage per say is gonna solve your problems
I think the question was meant more along the lines of, "If I buy an Atlas bulb to save money, will it cause any problems?"

I know the bulb I bought is basically the standard Atlas bulb. I didn't even recall whether it was 500W or 550W and I just looked at it and don't see. I know it cost me $550 plus shipping. I do remember the guy there telling me that with the M20 I wouldn't need to make any adjustments, but with an other D-ILAs the powerpot should be turned down for these bulbs. I wonder if that means they would last longer in a G10 than in an M20 since they wouldn't be driven as hard.

--Darin

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I've looked at a variety of these bulbs an they all look the same to me. I have seen very little reduction in output compared to the stock JVC bulbs. Those dimmed rapidly. I'll tell ya when I get to 2000 hours

There are some rumers that the Atlas is the same as used in the G20

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your answer Tryg and I do appreciate your feedback. But, darin hit the underlying reason on the nose. I was looking for a new bulb and one was offfered to me for a lower price but it was an atlas 550 watt.

I was told by ralph that the one I bought was a 500 watt one. Maybe I was mistaken. But I did not want to mess with the pot voltage on my G-10. I can't find kevin gilmore's thread about putting these bulbs in. I don't think heat would be an issue for me as I have more than enough ventillation for the machine. Just worried about the power supply components. Getting service in canada can be very slow sometimes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.