AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some research, it seems that the most light reflected from a high power screen is on the ceiling and the wall directly behind the viewing area. I have darker beige walls and a white textured ceiling. Painting the ceiling black is not an option and just hanging fabric on the ceiling would probably sag and not look right. I found this self adhesive light absorbing fabric called "flocked light trap material" and ordered a roll. The size of the roll of material is 30" width x 500" length. The projector is mounted on the ceiling and when pulled down the screen surface is only about 8-9 inches from the ceiling. Now the width of the wall behind the seating area and ceiling is 150". How far should I extend this material out past the screen to get a majority of the benefit? Is there a certain distance where putting anymore material would produce minimal or no benefit? How about the back wall? The ceiling is 8' high and the projector is mounted about 50" off the ground. Does the whole back wall have to be black or can just part of it be?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
You'd be better off covering the whole FRONT wall.

As for the ceiling, if you don't want to cover the whole thing (which I would do), at a minimum extend it out about 6' from the screen and preferably all the way to the projector.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/14301923

You'd be better off covering the whole FRONT wall.

As for the ceiling, if you don't want to cover the whole thing (which I would do), at a minimum extend it out about 6' from the screen and preferably all the way to the projector.

My front wall is 150" wide and the screen I am using is 116" wide. The screen will hang from the ceiling and start approximately 12" away from the wall. Thus leaving only 17" of bare wall 12" behind the screen to the left and right of the screen. On the right side of the wall is a window with blackout shades and curtains and on the left side is a door that I was going to cover with the light absorbing material, so you would only see it when it is closed.

I was under the impression that with a high power screen the wall behind the screen and side walls didn't really matter to much?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I have a high power and first painted my entire ceiling black before I installed black Celtic Cloth star panels. My walls are a deep dark blue. Both still showed reflections believe it or not! It's the nature of the HP screen.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood /forum/post/14303307

I was under the impression that with a high power screen the wall behind the screen and side walls didn't really matter to much?

Having the front wall black, will make your image "pop" more regardless of the type of screen (as will the side walls and ceiling).

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ill be painting my room black and dark purple early next week, Ill let you know how it goes. I have already added blackout drapes over the doors and windows, and I can already see a large improvement over the white blinds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts