AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many recommendation to put electrical outlets in columns, where possible, to minimize penetrations in the drywall for sound-proofing purposes.

So I assume the theory is to run an excess of romex to the location where the colum will be and then after drywall to put a small hole through the drywall to pull the wire through. Is this what people typically do? How hard is ti to pull the drywall through without creating a bigger problem than if you had just put in a well-sealed outlet box in the first place?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think the folks that go this route usually just drill a small hole in the drywall before hanging it. Run the wire through, and then hang the drywall.

If you leave the wire behind the drywall, and want to pull it through after, you are going to need a bigger hole. I left some speaker wire behind the drywall for a potential location for my surround speakers. I ended up using that location, and needed about 3/4" holes to stick some bent romex through to hook the speaker wire and pull it through. It wasn't easy, but it was doable.

If a column is covering it though, I don't know why a well sealed gang box wouldn't suffice.

·
Registered
586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth /forum/post/0

I've read many recommendation to put electrical outlets in columns, where possible, to minimize penetrations in the drywall for sound-proofing purposes.

...and for the cool factor, too
I does look nice, and it minimizes/removes one of the biggest holes in my drywall.

Quote:

So I assume the theory is to run an excess of romex to the location where the column will be and then after drywall to put a small hole through the drywall to pull the wire through. Is this what people typically do?

Kevin: That is exactly correct. A few things you need to do:

1) Make DARN sure you have your plans finalized. When you decide AFTER the romex has been pulled through that you need the columns to be about 10 inches BACK, you could be screwed!

2) Make sure you have PLENTY of romex pulled thru, mainly to avoid (1)!!!

"tis much easier to "nip off" a few inches AFTER the columns are in place then it would be to try and splice a few inches to reach the new location. I just "rolled up" the excess. Make sure the romex wire is secured as per your county electrical code, ie, stapled "x" inches from the box, etc...

4) There are more than a few ways to mount the outlet box in the column. I am using an MDF column, with a wood veneer facing, and the outlet box is a 14 cu in box I found here at Lowes with the tabs, and the "screw tight to fit" flaps on the side that hold the box tight in the hole you cut in the MDF. Make sure your hole is low/high enough for the romex that you probably already trimmed, right?

5) Make sure you pack the columns with insulation-someone told me they can act like a mini-bass trap.

6) Did I mention that you need to make sure you have enough romex to allow for "operator error"?

Quote:

How hard is it to pull the romex wire through without creating a bigger problem than if you had just put in a well-sealed outlet box in the first place?

It's easy. You cut your extra romex-you DO have extra romex on the run, right?-and you punch a little hole that you pre-measure before you put the drywall in place. I always did a dry run before I fastened the drywall to the joists. I tried to pack the hole in which the wire traveled with acoustical sealant as well.

A "well sealed outlet box" involves a heck of a lot more work, IMHO... You need that cool reddish "fireproof clay" thingee wrapped around the box, make allowance for same when you cut the drywall hole, etc etc ad nauseum. Too much work, and if you don't get it exactly right......

Oh, BTW, it might be a good idea to test the circuit, ie make sure you have power to the outlets BEFORE you close everything up. "Twould be a real b**** to have to redo or rework all that wiring if you forgot to do something.....

You'll do fine. It works for me. I feel that even if the hole I cut in the drywall isn't exactly and perfectly covered, I have the column and all that insulation to help me minimize the sound transference.

Did I mention that you should make SURE you have enough romex before you do the final "snip snip"??

Best,

Tom

Chinaclipper

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have drywalled my entire room and am now adding soffit around the whole thing. This is where I will put my lights and run all my wires. This way I do not have to put any holes in the wall or ceiling I am not sure on columns yet but if I add them the wire will drop down from the soffit straight into the column.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the advice, Tom. That's more or less what I was planning on doing, but it's nice to hear that someone else did the same thing and it worked out.

I have run all the electrical circuits in the basement except these, so I haven't had the chance to short myself on Romex yet.

Actually that is a valuable lesson I learned in my first wiring project at my parent's house 15 years ago - it's far better to waste $0.25 worth of wire than to spend 30 mintues pulling another circuit through the basement because you were 8 short.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianunknown /forum/post/0

I have drywalled my entire room and am now adding soffit around the whole thing. This is where I will put my lights and run all my wires. This way I do not have to put any holes in the wall or ceiling I am not sure on columns yet but if I add them the wire will drop down from the soffit straight into the column.

Brian,

you do not want your electrical cabling and your audio cableing to be near each other if humanly possible. Also you MAY have issues with building code, should you being getting inspected, with running the electrical loose in the soffit if that is what you are talking about.

Just some things to think about.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
If putting outlet in columns, how do you get past pre-drywall inspections?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Inspections?

I know the speaker wires should not be close to the electrical and so I will be separating them as much as possible. I know this is not ideal but it was the best I could come up with in my scenario. I am on a fairly tight budget and can not afford any where near the amount of equipment that most of the people have in this forum. Compromises have been made and lets hope it does not backfire on me.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/0

In my case, when the inspector didn't see any rough wiring for receptacles, my contractor explained what we were doing and he signed it off. The inspector made a note to check for them during final inspection.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay /forum/post/0

In my case, when the inspector didn't see any rough wiring for receptacles, my contractor explained what we were doing and he signed it off. The inspector made a note to check for them during final inspection.

Gotcha. Thanks.

·
Registered
586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/0

Micheal:

Ditto for me.

I told the inspector what I was doing, had a drawing of it, and he said "great, make sure have enough wire to pass the "6 inches from back of the outlet box" rule...

Best,

Tom

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Good to know. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts