AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HSU STF-1 that has a bad BASH amp. I want to repair it to sell it. HSU's amp is too expensive I'm thinking about a Dayton or PE amp. Do you think it's worth putting a new amp in or should I just sell it as is for parts? How much do you think I could get for it either way?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The amp in the HSU is custom made/Eq'd for the cabinet size, port, and driver. I strongly suggest you buy Hsu's.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you have the service manual, a volt/ohm meter and soldering iron, you could try to fix it yourself. There might only be 1-2 bad electrolytic capacitors.

In April, I used a 500w PE BASH amp as a replacement on a 9+ year old 15" subwoofer. I had my son cut 2"x4"s in a rectangular shape that were glued to the back of the subwoofer. After extending the wires that went from the amp to the subwoofer driver, he just screwed the amp into the 2"x4"s.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I doubt there is much EQ being applied to this sub besides a SSF. You should be fine with a plate amp of around the same wattage. You could also buy a cheap PEQ or SSF to protect the driver.

I doubt there is any magic in HSU's amp.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/19596729

I have an HSU STF-1 that has a bad BASH amp. I want to repair it to sell it. HSU's amp is too expensive I'm thinking about a Dayton or PE amp. Do you think it's worth putting a new amp in or should I just sell it as is for parts? How much do you think I could get for it either way?

Doing what your talking about would decrease resale value and might not work that well. In this case get the HSU replacement. It's only 50.00 more from what I saw in your previous posts. In the end you'll be glad you did it this way.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome /forum/post/19596793

The amp in the HSU is custom made/Eq'd for the cabinet size, port, and driver. I strongly suggest you buy Hsu's.

No it's not. All it does is provide power. Your AVR is what provides the eq. The size of the enclosure is made to the performance specs of the driver.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler /forum/post/19596852

If you have the service manual, a volt/ohm meter and soldering iron, you could try to fix it yourself. There might only be 1-2 bad electrolytic capacitors.

In April, I used a 500w PE BASH amp as a replacement on a 9+ year old 15" subwoofer. I had my son cut 2"x4"s in a rectangular shape that were glued to the back of the subwoofer. After extending the wires that went from the amp to the subwoofer driver, he just screwed the amp into the 2"x4"s.

As far as I can tell the caps are fine. There isn't anything I can see that is wrong with the amp. If I had the service manual I might stand a chance of fixing it however I'm not that skilled at diagnostics. If there is something that is obviously wrong I can replace it.

I was looking at that PE amp as a replacement. Once again, is it worth replacing the amp and trying to sell the sub, or forget the bad amp and just sell it for parts?

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/19599179

No it's not. All it does is provide power. Your AVR is what provides the eq. The size of the enclosure is made to the performance specs of the driver.

The sub is ported, correct?

There might be a HPF built in to the amp. But there are plenty of cheap aftermarket options that can provide this.

Besides that, as long as the amp can drive the load, you will be fine. This notion of custom made plate amps for a $300 or what ever sub is ridiculous. Especially for a ported sub.

If you really dont want to get the HSU amp. I would buy a cheap used pro amp and a cheap used parametric EQ. Something like a Rane PE17 or a new eD EQ1 or whatever they are called.

You can even get one of the cheap Fmods from Parts Express if you dont want to get a standalone HPF.

You're going to have to figure out where to set the HPF. With out the TS parameters to model the sub in the enclosure you are going to have to guestimate a little bit. But if you know the tuning of the sub. It is usually needed a little lower than that.

If you know how to run REW, a close mic measurement will give you the tuning frequency.

You could also get one of those cheap FMods from Parts Express instead of a standalone SSF.

If this is all to save $50, It would be much easier to get the matching amp from HSU.

But it is possible to go with another amp.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/19599179

flying_fool and Hot Grits,

I've had almost all HSU designs, and know personally most of the staff that works there.

I gave you my advice....

If you don't need it, then don't ask what you already know.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome /forum/post/19602082

I've had almost all HSU designs, and know personally most of the staff that works there.

I gave you my advice....

Well, I guess you were probably right about the HPF. I appreciate your input. I probably will just get it repaired from HSU. I'm not too excited about trying to sell a frankensteined sub to someone with another manufacturer's amp and it possibly turns out to be a POS.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome

I gave you my advice....

I didnt ask anything

Since youve had all the HSU designs. Tell me what the amp in this ported sub provides besides the HPF.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Grits /forum/post/19605577

I didnt ask anything

Since youve had all the HSU designs. Tell me what the amp in this ported sub provides besides the HPF.

Nothing.You said it yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On a related note, I just sent my VTF3 Mk2 BASH amp back for repair. I have had the amp for 6 yrs now in the home theatre, with maybe 1600 hours on it before it died.

Does this seem about right for failure, and should I expect only about the same life going forward?

I know some of the capacitors are cheapos, but they visually looked ok. I'm not complaining, just curious as to what to expect. The people at Hsu are of little help, and the warranty on the repair is short.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts