AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've got the theater mostly finished and we'll be hooking up the final components this week.

One of the things I wanted to be able to do was to have a smooth and professional looking movie experience, especially when we have guests. My plan was to use 2 DVD players, but even that may be difficult to operate (especially since they're the same make and model - hadn't thought of the "remote competition" issues when I bought them - d'oh!).

Any suggestions on how to run a smooth preshow, start of movie, intermission, and post show?

Randy

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
An HTPC would have solved all your problems, but it's probably a bit late for that now.

Congratulations on getting everything finished up!

- Rick

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
One way is to use the two DVD players, but have one off and one on to start with. Then when you are ready to switch, hit the power toggle to turn the on one off and the off one on...

(This worked pretty well for me and my two ReplayTVs for years until I finally got seperate codes for each).

Good luck!

Kevin

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll need both DVD's on - I'd like to cue them up to the correct spot.

And I'm not opposed to an HTPC even now - I just haven't seen one that's easy enough to operate - I've heard about "H3D" and some others, but have yet to seem them in play.

Randy

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The other thing you can do is put some paper over the IR receiver on one of the DVDs, then have a "helper" move it at the appropriate time (if your equipment is in the Theater room, then dressing that person all in black will help)

:D

Just looked at your website, looks like the equipment rack is behind everyone so a helper could do this no problem and no one would even know. ;)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may swap out one of the new matching DVD players for another one (not a progressive scan, but probably ok for pre-show entertainment).

Here's another question/quest while I'm at it: anyone know of any specialty discs with star fields or aquariums?

R

·
Registered
33 Posts
You could use a remote with an RF extender, You may be able to assign each DVD player with a different 'address' so you talk to them individually, and that way you are controling them via RF and not IR. I have not looked at you photo album so this may conflict with you current plans.

Natas

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by imlucid
One way is to use the two DVD players, but have one off and one on to start with. Then when you are ready to switch, hit the power toggle to turn the on one off and the off one on...
This may not work, as the Play command will turn on many DVD players.

Xantech makes an "IR Router", model RT-8, which allows control of multiple identical devices. Niles Audio makes a similar unit, the IRD-8. You could also use an Ocelot, to "translate" a different IR code for controlling one of the DVD players.

Of course, as you already mentioned, you could just buy another brand of DVD player, but I think it would look cooler to have similar, or identical units.

Speaking of cool, the problem would be easily solved with a Crestron controller :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Randy,

I am hoping for a Cyberdyne party next month. I plan on using both my new Panasonic CP72S DVD-A changer and my XBOX dvd player to organize the event.

On the XBOX player I will have a custom introduction DVD with trivia, etc...and on the changer I will have the Feature Presentation cued to start at the movies beginning.

Prior to that I will have a couple audio CD's with famous movies themes playing for background music on a Sony CD Changer....

Plan is to play music while people gawk, eat , drink and drill me with questions. Then once we are seated I will use the Rotel Processor to change format from CD to XBOX. Using my prontoPRO remote I can macro this move easily...also switching the projector from PIC-MUTE ON to MUTE OFF...followed at the same time with the DaLite screen lowering and house lights down 75%.

Once the XBOX custom DVD is finished with the big announcement of :Now Mortensen's Cyberdyne Cinema proudly presents our Feature Presentation"....the prontoPRO will have the Rotel switch to the CP72S changer format and begin play.....followed with light down 100%

Anyhow, that's the plan.....I am currently programming the prontoPRO and keeping my fingers crossed!:D

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds promising, Darren - I'll be interested to see if you can pull it off!

95% of my theater usage should be handled with simple automation - family TV or movie watching. I still want it to be cool and don't think it'll be a problem. I've got an MX-700, a Denon 4802, and the other components, DVD players, CD, TiVo, will all run through the Denon. The curtains (not installed yet) will run off a Makita and the lights are off a Grafik Eye. I'll have a single macro for "Watch Movie" for the lights to dim, curtains to open, and everything else fire in the correct sequence.

It only gets really complex when I want to entertain with multiple sources. I might have to try and assemble a custom DVD so I simply cue up the movie on the main unit, the run the preshow and switch at the appropriate time.

Randy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.