AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been attempting to research the many choices of home theater speakers and projectors and even screens which are on the consumer market but I am having a rather difficult time finding cohesion. I was looking at the Panasonic PT-AE4000U for the projector and a EluneVision Elara II Perlux-Silver screen. Any comments on that choice? As well for the speakers I was thinking about doing in wall. I will have about 3000 to 3500 for the entire audio system including receiver. Are there any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I could do a great set up for 6k. You will not be getting the best of the best but will you ever know?

Most people think they have to go nuts when buying a/v equipment. I wonder how many people actually need all the separate amps, power cleaners, ect they have?? Thats a LOT of money spent for nothing a lot of the time.

1000 on a projector

1000 on speakers

500 on a a/v receiver

300 on a PS3

100-400 on a screen

Save the rest on a good vacation..

OH yea...shop on Craigslist and save even more..

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I'm not familiar with the screen you mentioned but you might consider a diy screen in order to put more of your budget into speakers. Are you looking at 5.1 or 7.1? Your projector selection is a good one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was hoping for a 7.1 system, would you happen to know any good receivers and speakers which could fit in a 3k- 3.5k budget? I was looking at the Onkyo 708 and some of the Pioneer's as for the receivers. For the speakers I was looking into some in wall klipsch speakers.

Any input is good input. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The Pioneer VSX1120 just got a nice write up and would leave you with 2.5-3k for speakers. I'm sure there are many other receivers in that price range that would work as well. I don't know much about the Onkyo 708, but the 608 got pretty good reviews.

Are in-walls a must? Do you already have a sub or is that part of the speaker budget as well? You'll probably have a hard time finding decent in-walls with that budget, especially if you want to do 7.1 and need a sub. If you're set on in-walls, take a look at Definitive Technology and Atlantic Technology. I had luck finding some b-stock inventory from Atlantic Technology. You should also contact Jason Turk here at AVS. He gave me some very good pricing on Atlantic Technology.

You will certainly have more options if you can do without the in-walls.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Check out WilsonArt Designer White laminate (available from Home Depot) as a screen - just cut to size and hang it (add a border if desired).

The Epson 8350 is another budget friendly projector option to consider.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
How much are you spending on the room itself and sound treatments??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping to keep it under $12,000 though my budget isn't 100% restricted. At Audiophile liquidators, which have fantastic prices for their speakers, I was looking at the Klipsch KS-7800-THX for the front 3 speakers (though im not sure if thats okay for a center speaker) and for 2 of the back Klipsch KL-6502-THX or even the Atlantic Technology IWTS-30SR-P. I was thinking for the second set of rear speakers to go in ceiling just for furniture positioning. Doing this i could certainly keep in a $6500 range. And I was thinking about an Epik subwoofer, the Empire with its dual 15" cones sounds like it could do the job.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianjudge /forum/post/19640417

For the surround speaker it would be the Atlantic Technology IWTS-14SR not the 30R sorry.

I was looking at the 30 as well but can only afford the 14.

Regarding the receiver, try looking in the receiver forum. You will probably find a dedicated thread for each of these receivers with lots of input from current owners.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
If I went with Klipsch for the front, I'd go with Klipsch for the surrounds. If your seating will be fairly close to the surrounds, you might look at bipole/dipole speakers instead of direct firing. This will make it more difficult to identify where the sound is actually coming from. I think Klipsch calls this Wide Dispersion Surround Technology.

If you are looking at the 7800 series, I think you would want the KL-7800 for the fronts and the KS-7800 for the surrounds. This might get pricey however. I see they have a 5650 surround that might be cheaper, but I'm not sure what the matching LCR would be. It's not super critical that they match, but since you're starting from scratch, it doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've been using Axiom Audio speakers with good results. If you stick with the smaller speakers such as the M2 or M22 for L/C/R and QS8 for surrounds you could get by on a budget and have good sound. M22 for LR and M2 for center would be better than using your typical horizontal center speaker. It doesn't hurt to check them out.

www.axiomaudio.com

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
it you are somewhat decent with a circular saw and guide board you could easily shave a bunch of money off your audio budget and go diy.

For 5 grand this is what I am putting together for the inlaws

epson 8700ub

onkyo 708

Wiring

7 econowave SR's

Dual Tuba HT

I think I am up to about 4.5 or 4.7grand they are going to provide the dry walling and PS3.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
+100
Dual THTs will also save you a ton on a full body massages.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Come on guys, you're making me feel inadequate with my measly one THT LP.

Hmm, maybe I need to buy myself another driver at partsexpress for Christmas. As if I wasn't spending enough on myself already.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Brad, I only have one THT. I'm moving it from a small room to a big one, so I'm sure I'll notice a difference.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/19643241

Come on guys, you're making me feel inadequate with my measly one THT LP.

Hmm, maybe I need to buy myself another driver at partsexpress for Christmas. As if I wasn't spending enough on myself already.

You have a perfect area for an additional LP. you could put them between the speakers or put it on the other side of the stage.

Dual THT's really work wonders at getting rid of a lot of room issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts