AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally got the green light after lurking for months. I'm turning my formal living room in a dedicated HT room with my tax refund . . . so it is important to stretch the money. I've done a lot of research in the projector and screens forums, but I guess I would like confirmation of whether my choices are sound. The room is 18' long and 10 1/2' wide . . . there will be a couch about 15' away from the screen . . . there is a window that I plan to cover with a shade and dark curtains to block out ambient light, but most use will be at night anyway. Primary uses will be DVDs, video games, and HDTV. Here is my plan to put it all together:

1. Panasonic L300u: Seems like the most bang for the buck, plus I do not want to risk family members seeing rainbows on a DLP projector. I have actually seen an HS10 in action . . . since I have read that performance is close, I think I will be satisfied with the l300u. I plan on placing it on a coffee table in front of the couch . . . since that avoids carpentry. Also the possibility of 5000 hrs. of lamp life in low power mode is attractive and the throw distance is right.

2. Still debating on my choice for a screen . . . I am going to need a pull down since the screen will be in front of a closet door and right beside the front door of the house. Was leaning toward the DaLite Model B 92x52 with High Power fabric, since the high power material reportedly eliminates waves, however I talked to a dealer who indicated that waves are only problems on screens larger than the one I am considering . . . so should I go with High Contrast Matte White instead? I also could fit the Model C 104x58 in the area . . . not sure if that would compromise performance on either material . . .

3. Samsung Sirt151 OTA HDTV receiver: It looks like Comcast is never going to provide HDTV in this area (Mobile, AL) so this is the only way I can receive the signals . . . plan on matching it to an indoor antenna.

4. Kenwood HTB-705DV: I know that HTIB systems are not the best performers but the reviews on this one are fairly solid . . . also includes progressive scan DVD changer.

5. Also considering a component switch-box like the JVC jx-s111, to hook the DVD player, the HDTV receiver, the XBOX, ect. and run it all to the component input on the l300u . . . . I do not think that the Kenwood has enough component inputs on the receiver . . .

6. The only other consideration . . . unfortunately I will need to use each items supplied component cables to hook everything up to the switch . . .should I invest in a high end cable to run from the switch to the projector?

Any feedback is appreciated . . . should be getting the check at the end of May . . . but can hardly wait. I have a critically-ill child on a ventilator and alot of other equipment so sometimes it is hard to go out to the movies . . . so I think it is going to be great for all of us when the movie theater is in the next room!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your fist post.

1. The Panasonic L300U is well regarded on the forum. The contrast ratio is similar to the HS10, the HS10's extra resolution really comes into play with HDTV signals. If you have'nt already done so, I'd suggest you get to see a DLP projector also before dismissing them. LCD and DLP really have different "looks" to them, and some people have a very strong preference for one or the other.

2. Pull down screens are convenient, but I've never seen one stay flat over time that wasn't tab tensioned. Personal opinion is to go with a fixed screen if you can swing it. DIY is also an option.

3. HDTV is a good thing. The Samsung is a fine OTA reciever.

4. This system actually has a real receiver and DVD player included. The speakers are the weak point, but can be upgraded as funds allow.

5. I don't think the Kenwood system has any component inputs, so you will need this switcher, or be prepared to do a lot of cable moving.

6. I don't think you need a "high end" cable. I do think you need a decent one. Any reputable name brand cable of suitable length would be fine (AR, Monster, Phoenix Gold, etc.).

Take the plunge, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello: I only have a couple of comments:

1. Check out the noise level of the projector. I have my projector (Sony VPL -CX5) ceiling mounted and only occassionally hear it, and it's not a problem, but paying attention to the noise level is something on my check list the next time I buy.

2. Get the highest native resolution you can.

3. Try to get a demo of the projector if at all possible.

Regards,

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your remarks . . . I still have a month before purchase time, so I am going to try to find somewhere to demo the panny . . . and also see a DLP if possible . . . the only problem is that there are not many places that carry projectors in town . . . the only way I saw the HS10 was because we have a "boutique" Sony dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.