AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my TV for awhile, and now I am looking to move up to a DD 5.1 audio setup. My budget is very modest, and I have researched some components, but I have some questions which are confusing me.

All I have right now is the TV: Mitsubishi vs-60603 rptv. It has one component input and 3 s-video inputs.

What I will be using as the DD 5.1 source will be the XBox video game console (which for the mean time will also serve as my DVD player). It supports component video output, and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio output both for games and DVD's.

For my audio setup I was looking at the Kenwood htb-504 "home theater in a box" av receiver/speaker package. I am looking to spend no more than $500 for receiver/speakers, and from what I have read, this product is very good for the price for an entry level system.

How I will hook everything together is where I start to get confused, however. Component video is better than svideo, so I should use component where-ever possibly, right? But from what I can tell, the Kenwood htb-504 doesn't have component inputs or outputs. So should I hook up the XBox directly to the component inputs on my TV, or should I hook the XBox via svideo to the Kenwood receiver, which in turn will hook up to the svideo input on my TV? But wouldn't that degrade the signal? But, lets say I hook the XBox up directly to the component inputs on my TV. What if later I want to add a seperate DVD player to my setup. I will have to unplug everytime I want to switch between the DVD player the XBox, since my TV only has one set of component inputs. Should I spend extra to get a receiver with component input/outputs? Also I have read several times that I should replace the the speaker wires that come with the Kenwood htb-504 with "monster" cables? Does it really make that much of a difference and should I be figuring that into my budget as well? It seems that the more research I do, the more questions I have, and that my costs could quickly spiral beyond the $500 limit I wanted to spend for the receivers/speakers.

This is a little trickier than I thought it would be, and any suggestions which might help me avoid making a mistake which would cost me more later on would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Actually, you seem to have a pretty good handle on how this process is going to go. Yes, you are best off hooking up your X-Box with the component as opposed to the S-Video. Be aware that you will have to spend a few extra bucks for component output capability for your X-Box (it is not packaged with the system) and you'll also have to purchase the DVD adapter for the X-Box ($20-$30 I believe). Starting out with the Kenwood HTB system is fine if that's what your budget is. It will be a dramatic improvement over your TV speakers. Later when you are ready to upgrade your main system you can put the Kenwood into another room. I have several friends who are annoyed by the fact that the system in my home office is better than their main systems. It was my starter system and as the main system has improved my older equipment has migrated throughout the house.

Buy what your budget can handle but do your research first (which you obviously have) and enjoy what you can afford. No matter how great your system is there will always be a better set up out there somewhere.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bc999
Also I have read several times that I should replace the the speaker wires that come with the Kenwood htb-504 with "monster" cables?
Id say definatly upgrade the speaker wire to 16guage. Many out there will disagree but I donot believe in the expensive Monster brand. I get my stuff from RS, which, IMO is just as good and costs a lot less. Good luck and enjoy the HT system of your choice!!!

Steve

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Steve is right. Thicker cable will open up a system pretty good. Instead of that zipcord stuff :) Of course if you can go 14 or 12 then by all means do that. But might be overdoing itin this case.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hook the Xbox directly to the TV. Only the audio outputs from the Xbox need to go to the Kenwood receiver. You do want to get some decent quality component video cables for this, but you don't need Monster. Monster cables are decent enough, but you can get better quality for less money, IMO. Try BetterCables.com or AR cables.

Do replace the skinny speaker wire that comes with the HTB-504, but again, don't waste your money on Monster Cable. Go to Radio Shack or Home Depot and get however much 12 gauge OFC (oxygen free copper) speaker wire you need. It will cost about 1/10th the price of the same quality wire from Monster.

I hope this helps,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.