AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I have been lurking this forum for a while now, reading around and doing research. I have tried not to post asking questions that I would find answers to around here but this is the last thing I'll be buying for my entertainment system, and I want to make sure I finish it off correctly.

As I stated this is the first decent AV system I'll be putting together, the current setup I have in my living room is a 3 year old 37'' Sharp Aquos and a 4 year old Sony 5.1 "1000w" system from walmart.

So far I have bought:

1 pair - Polk Monitor 60 Series II

1 pair - Polk Monitor 40 Series II

1 - Polk CS2 Series II Center Channel

1 - Pinnacle Sub-Sonix 10-200 Sub

1 APC H10 Power Conditioner

The TV my wife will be buying for me tomorrow(I'm deployed):

Sharp Aquos 60'' LCD LC-60E88UN

What I haven't bought:

Pinpoint AM-40 speaker mounts

Dayton SCP-X Speaker Cables

Denon AVR-791

Ok now I need advice on the cables and the receiver.

Is it worth it to spend $150 on those cable they have good reviews but I don't now if it's worth it.

Is the Denon AVR-791 a good choice, should I save some money and get the AVR-1611 instead?

Will I miss the extra 15watts per channel?

I don't plan on upgrading to 7.1

Also I don't care for the extras in the 1911.

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Cables are cables......especially where digital/HDMI is concerned. Check Monoprice right here on AVS and save a bundle.

As to AVR's now is about the time to get the best deals on last years models and here's what i think is the absolute best deal on an AVR out there. Massive amplifier section and retailed originally for more than double the price now.

http://www.electronics-expo.com/make...-1900BL/1.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/19543240

Cables are cables......especially where digital/HDMI is concerned. Check Monoprice right here on AVS and save a bundle.

As to AVR's now is about the time to get the best deals on last years models and here's what i think is the absolute best deal on an AVR out there. Massive amplifier section and retailed originally for more than double the price now.

http://www.electronics-expo.com/make...-1900BL/1.html

I did some research on the Yamaha and read that Yamaha's YPAO is not as good as Denons Audyssey and that is a rather important feature for me since I'm a noob and if I have to do any tweaking I won't know how to. Also Read that Yamahas power ratings are not as true to the real numbers as Denons, which means that the power difference between the 1900 and the 791 isn't so great. The Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ are some features that seem useful and I would like to have.

However I did not find any info on how these compare on upscaling which is rather important for me since the local cable doesn't offer to many HD channels and my TV is rather big and the room isn't.

Thanks for the help

Any other input would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Given your response, i think it's best you take some time and read some reference material here and on other forums as you might not have the best understanding on what it is you are looking for. If auto eQ systems are a basis for a receiver choice then swing away. Opinions are like.....ooops. Generally YPAO, Auddyssey, MCACC or whatever flavor......are exactly that...flavors. As to power ratings, on eonly needs to look at the chassis weight to get an understanding as to what's going down in the amplifier section.

AS to video processing, let your TV do the job. At this price point AVRs don't compete.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I really don't know much about this and I do aprsiate your help.

My budget is $400 give or take for the receiver and I don't have to buy right now I can wait until at least Feb2011.

I was thinking about having my PS3 connected directly to the TV, since all of the HD things I'll be watching will be coming from it and have the sound go from the PS3 to the receiver through digital optical cable. Then just have the non HD things go through the receiver and to the TV via HDMI. Im not really gonna watch a whole lot of non HD media on that TV since I still have my 37'' Sharp with the non HD cable elsewhere on the apartment.

Also I don't have any CDs anymore so Ipod comparability is rather important for me.

Im still reading on that Yamaha, do you think Im gonna miss any of those features on the newer Denons?

The more I read it seems I won't.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to electronics expo and they don't want to ship to Puerto Rico and every other place has it for $200 more. So as much as I want it I'll have to get another Receiver. Thinking either Pioneer 1120 or Denon 791

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll probably buy the receiver in 2 months or so 'cause I won't be home for another 3ish months.

But so far it's down to:

Onkyo 608 $380 new

Pioneer 1120 $500 new

Denon 2310 $380 refurbished 1 year warranty

any tips?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.