AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI...learning noob here...After a lot of reading on here I have come up with some possible combos but without hearing them it's a hard choice to make...I'd like something clean and can get somewhat loud, but doesn't have to be earth shattering. Here is what I'm thinking...

I need a set up that is small and will be enjoyed with both music (13%) and movies (85%) with a little game play (+-2%). Just have a wii right now. My wife isn't a huge fan of the idea of having a HT at all but I think I can pull it off the less noticeable it is. She likes to just watch using the TV speakers 99% of the time, so that will be important. My TV speakers stink!! I haven't had much luck in finding an option other than turning down all the speakers on the receiver, but the receiver has to be on so everything else will work.

I currently have a LN46A650 Samsung LCD, DirecTV HD-DVR, cheap Sony upscale 1080 DVD player, and the wii. I will be adding a Samsung Blue-Ray in time, don't think I'll get the PS3, but might be an option.

The receiver most everyone seems to like is the 606 from onkyo, but it runs hot and I just have an open front stand, which is a concern. I would like a receiver I can run everything I can with HDMIs or as few cables as possible, and has the most options I can get in a receiver at the price point. Are there other receivers you all would recommend in the same price range as the 606, but you think is better?

Speaker wise, I have read about so many 5.1 systems...they all start to merge together. As I said before I need them to be small, will be mounting in the corners of the room that measures 13x21. TV is up against one of the 13' walls with seating to the left and in front of the TV. I like the look of the JBL CS6100BG and Harman Kardon HKTS-18. This is about the price range I am looking at too...3-$500. I am open to any suggestions on a speaker set up; these seem to get the highest reviews from what I have read.

I would like to be well under $1000, more like the $800 range if possible. I understand you get what you pay for, but right now it's about all I can do to get started.

I have to install the new baseboards soon and will be running the speaker wire at that time and would like to put something together and going in the next week or so. I really appreciate all the input you guys can toss out there for me. Thank you!!

Erik

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Both the Harmon and JBL speaker systems will work fine and probably quite good options if you need small speakers. Small speakers, though, are limited just because of their size. Consider these Energy speakers:

Front and surround (2 pair) - C-50: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC50

Center: C-C50: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENCC50

Sub: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENESW8

They aren't really too much bigger but I think you'd get a nicer sound. They're on closeout so the price is very good. The build quality on the Energy speakers is very good as well. You could spend more on the sub with the money you save.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the way these Enery speakers look, thank you, and the sub has a nicer look to it. I think the difference in the depth of these speakers might be the breaker and they look to be more of a bookshelf speaker and would stick out from to wall a lot more...but i am definately going to toss them in as a possible option...

Anyone else have some ideas...how about my reciever choice?? other ideas??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts