AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the desire to not have a forum overwhelmed by "what display should I get" post. However, putting these post into a single topic is a terrible idea IMO.

Before going to bed last night I posted a XXX VS XXX topic. I got up today eagerly anticipating any replies but to my dismay found my topic was moved into a common thread.

Last year when I last posted I ask similar questions about different displays and . . . believe it or not, GOT A RESPONSE.

Having my topic moved to the global topic i can see my post has been lost in a sea of other questions which is terrible when you are in my position and makes the forum really unfriendly to some one who only visits here once every few months.

I don't have a lot of time to follow threads and keep track of who is responding to who and I imagine some great questions / responses are going to get lost.

Might I make the humble suggestion of adding a "What Should I buy" forum. This way, the clutter is cleaned up but consumers can still get their answers and communicate more clearly. =)

Otherwise, this community has lost a great bit of appeal and usefulness for a guy like me and I imagine many others =(

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
As much as I dislike the numerous threads of this type, I do enjoy helping out people when it comes time for them to purchase a TV (as long as they act like they are somewhat informed when they pose their initial question). And, I actually sent a private message to one of the moderators and mentioned exactly your concerns.

However, I think we may be out of gas on this one, so good luck in finding the perfect TV for your needs and sorting through that "soon to become" enormous new thread.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm back in the market and am in the same boat. While I don't mind doing the research it can be a real pain figuring out what to buy.

I think that idea for a forum is a good one. Maybe have some sort of guidelines for posting like what size are you looking to buy along with the intended use, room size, budget, etc.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

*Edit*

After looking at the thread a new forum based on that initial post would be great!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I couldn't agree more with this request. Merging questions like this into a massive thread only helps those that have the time to wade through potentially thousands of responses. I enjoy reading the questions and seeing the responses, but once it gets merged into a common thread, I stop reading. It's simply too much work.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
It's worked for the Blu-ray player forum, it can work here, too. There is info in the first post to help people help themselves, which isn't even in the equivalent sticky in the Blu-ray player forum.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sharkcohen, I guess that depends on your definition of success. If you mean cleaned up the boards sure. If you mean getting good responses one can easily follow and contribute to I have to disagree.

Now I've been coming here for a very long time. I'm not new to the internet, doing research, reading specs or posting to message boards.

From my experience, you don't get the same type of quality feedback, communication, responses or thoughtful conversation that you would from a dedicated post.

Sure I agree one should be informed and do some thinking for themselves. For example, I have compared all specs and did an in store comparison (all though not side by side) but despite all the research I do, nothing compares to hearing other peoples personal experiences with a particular brand / monitor.

from my personal experience, the last time I posted a "help me decide" post I got some very helpful / insightful tips and points to consider in just a few hours. In comparison, with my most recent post, my question is already lost / forgotten.

I *think* you guys are really going to be alienating a lot of potential buyers out there and limiting their ability to connect with the real pros who would otherwise be able to get them very useful information.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW: dont worry im not going to pontificate any further. this is just my advice/experience thus far. i dont want this to turn into an argument over opinions.

you guys have my 2cents and hope it is considered. if you all of a sudden see a drop in total post, replies, etc then you'll have empirical data to back up my experience.

unfortunately I'm still no closer to an answer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
it would be awesome if some sort of resident guru could do a monthly post. It would list a few of the best options in each price range. Tomshardware does it with video cards. Every month a tomshardware member does a post, best video card for the money and breaks it down into price ranges. Then people are also able to comment on it below.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with the original post. I think having a buying advice forum or sub-forum would be more convenient than a single monolithic thread where people's questions get lost in the shuffle.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^^+1

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmace /forum/post/18230804

I agree with the original post. I think having a buying advice forum or sub-forum would be more convenient than a single monolithic thread where people's questions get lost in the shuffle.

yeah that is a better idea than having them all chucked into one big thread.

having it in one thread though has its advantages like people read the first main post and many of their questions get answers without anyone having to tell them the same thing over and over again and you can lay out a format of questions about their application like Shark has done that are needed in order to give better suggestions rather than just buy model XXX who cares what size it is etc.

the problem with a seprate sub forum will be people will often disregard the instructions Sticky because they don't have to click on it and see it and would end up posting many

Quote:
what 32" LED model should i buy?

with no other needed information to give a person an educated suggestion of models to buy and everyone knows it happens on here too often and that is the primary reason for the new thread

·
23,032 Posts
It's a dual edge sword. Many people don't like the forum being cluttered with the same threads over and over. One thread gets kinda big and requires some effort find things. The biggest hurdle in the way is most people want to expend as little effort as possible to get an answer and would rather not spend time reading and searching. This will never change and hence complaints about one big thread.

I don't really care, nor do the other mods, since the forum has pretty much "run wild" till recently. Some people who actually do take the time to give quality help to others have said having everything in thread is getting unwieldy. One person actually spent some extra time to try and help things and other members. Some people who actually do take the time to give quality help to others have said having everything in thread is getting unwieldy.

One thing that would help immensely is if people actually take the trouble to point to another thread is the recognize a "dupe" instead of replying and saying something that has already been stated. But that takes some effort.. So, this forum is only as good as you, the members, allow it to be.

larry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.