AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if someone can explain this:

I have a C3X1080, going through an ISCOIII to a 132x56 (2.37:1) HP (2.8 gain) screen.

With a new bulb (35 hours to be exact), I use a ND2 filter to reduce lumens and I am getting 20 fL. The image is spectacular, 3 dimensional, colors pop, etc. I'm in awe of it.

However, with a bulb that has 235 hours on it, I remove the ND2 filter and am getting either 18 fL or 26 fL depending on whether I have the iris closed or open. While the image looks OK - certainly watchable, it doesn't have that wow factor. Colors look less saturated and do not pop, image is (by comparison) flat.

I recalled being astounded by the image when I first got my projector and less so after the bulb had some hours on it and was wondering if I just got 'used to' the image, but now that I have a new bulb and can go back and forth, I can see I wasn't imagining this.

Any ideas? Shouldn't the same amount of light produce the same image - or is there a 'quality' of light that degrades as the bulb ages?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie /forum/post/12904463

I wonder if someone can explain this:

I have a C3X1080, going through an ISCOIII to a 132x56 (2.37:1) HP (2.8 gain) screen.

With a new bulb (35 hours to be exact), I use a ND2 filter to reduce lumens and I am getting 20 fL. The image is spectacular, 3 dimensional, colors pop, etc. I'm in awe of it.

However, with a bulb that has 235 hours on it, I remove the ND2 filter and am getting either 18 fL or 26 fL depending on whether I have the iris closed or open. While the image looks OK - certainly watchable, it doesn't have that wow factor. Colors look less saturated and do not pop, image is (by comparison) flat.

I recalled being astounded by the image when I first got my projector and less so after the bulb had some hours on it and was wondering if I just got 'used to' the image, but now that I have a new bulb and can go back and forth, I can see I wasn't imagining this.

Any ideas? Shouldn't the same amount of light produce the same image - or is there a 'quality' of light that degrades as the bulb ages?

You may get better info on this machine on the other forum.

There is always difficulty with subjective observation. I'll keep an eye out on the other forum and I'll dig out my current figures for you tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts