Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ballpark...

2' deep stage, 11 feet wide and built using 2x6s...so 5 1/2" high.

How many 50 lb bags of sand will it take to fill this cavity?

I will be building the stage with 16" centered 2x6s supporting it.

I guess I could do the math too...but what is the approximate volume of a 50 lb bag of sand?

Scott

What's heavier a 50 lb bag of sand or a 50 lb bag of fiberglass insulation?

:)

·
Registered
641 Posts
18 - 20 bags of sand...

I recently did my stage that is a bit deeper but just a wide. Be sure to "tamp" the sand down before securing the first sheet of wood.

PS the 50 pound bag of sand will feel much heavier than the fiberglass. If your luck is anything like mine you end up with some wet bags (50 pounds plus water weight)... My back will never let me forget that weekend!

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
A 50lb. bag of fiberglass is definitely heavier than a 50lb. bag of sand. There is more packaging with the fiberglass and packaging isn't counted in the net weight. ;-)

Mike

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Please take the time to DRY the sand. Water takes up some volume in the sand (not sure how much) but the sand could possibly settle enough to leave a space. Not a huge resonance cavity I'll grant but the idea is to have a tightly packed (dense) sand base.

Plus all that moisture (there's a lot) can't possibly be good to seal up in a stage.

Ted

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Here's my question: how do you actually dry all of that sand before packing it in the stage? Is it enough to just open the bags at the top and let the air dry it? I would imagine you somehow need to spread it out. Or do you put a layer in the stage, let it dry a while, then add another layer, etc.?

·
Registered
594 Posts
It will take an eternity to dry out with the top of the bag open. I dumped mine onto the basement floor and let it sit for a few days. Keep moving it around to expose moist sand. If you have kids they'll love it! :) My 4 year old daughter did!

I also stapled some plastic sheet to the bottom of the frame work so that the sand can't work it's way out.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi Scott-C,

I purchased play sand in 50 pound bags at Home Depot and this sand was totally dry (No moisture what so ever). I would never seal-up a stage with sand that has any moisture, it seems that your dry lumber would just absorb the moisture and eventually rot it.

Hi Scott Jensen,

18 to 20 bags sounds about right. My stage is 9.5' X30" (2"X6" lumber) and a little extra for the front radius and It took 18 bags.

Don

·
Registered
594 Posts
Don, you live in Arizona! No wonder the sand was dry! :) The play sand I bought from a Toronto area Home Depot was quite damp.........

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks guys. Starscomeout, do you mind if I ask you how much you paid per 50-pound bag of sand at Home Depot? I did a search on their site but couldn't pull up any information whatsoever on sand.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just picked up 22 bags of sand from the local Home Depot. If I recall correctly the cost was $1.94/bag. It is still drying after a week on the basement floor.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Wow Darren, that's pretty cheap! These were 50-lb. bags of play sand?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi Scott-C,

I think it was around $3.50 or $3.75 per bag. This was a little on the expensive side, but well worth not having to deal with drying it out.

Don

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
My using 1 cubic foot of dry sand weighing 100 lbs (which I found on a concrete site).

You need ~ 120 cubic feet.

Leads to 24 bags of sand.

or 4.5 cubic yards if you have it delivered on a hot, dry day.

SM

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks Starscomeout, sounds like you were able to avoid the hassle of drying out the sand (one less thing to worry about, right?)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.