AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - So the PJ is finally set up, ceiling mounted. I am now noticing about a 1 pixel red misalignment and about a 1.5 - 2 pixel green misalignment. After scouring the previous posts regarding convergence issues, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer about whether this amount of misalignment is correctable within the service menu. Has anybody had comparable misalignments and been able to correct them without sending the unit back to Sanyo? For the record, the PJ is still eminently watchable, in fact, pretty stunning. A friend of mine, a digital video nut and experienced filmmaker with a highly discerning eye saw it last night and was impressed with the image, to say the least.

But, regardless of how impressive the image is, I am eager to get the PJ as "right" as possible, hence my interest in correcting this misalignment.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Most certainly adjustable through the service menu. A couple of the guys at Sanyo would prefer to talk you through doing it at home rather than going through the trouble (and Sanyo flipping the bill for shipping) to send it in. Give them a hollar at 888/337-1215 menu option 4.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Those of us with similar problems had to have the projectors replaced. While you would think that a linear misalignment could be adjusted in software, I was not offered any such solution. The panels are soldered in place and cannot be adjusted. It is a $2500 replacement part to fix, so do it under warranty immediately.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jeez. two totally different takes on the situation. what do I do!!!!???

Thanks for the feedback. Any more opinions out there? I would obviously prefer to not send it in, but if, as you say, Scott, that it is unfixable via service then I guess I have to. Eric - I will try calling Sanyo and see what they say.

Andy

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
My first 20HD (SE Clone of the PVL70) had a badly misaligned red panel. My replacement 20HD has:
  • Horrendous color uniformity issues (see thread elsewhere)
  • Slight misalignment of the green panel (noticeable with white on black background)
  • 4 stuck blue pixels

I believe it's possible that 1-2 pixel offsets can be adjusted via the service menu, anything larger the entire light engine must be replaced. My 2nd 20HD goes back to SE, then on to Sanyo directly, for repair. I placed my order with SE back in August, received the 20HD the 1st of September - it's now December. :(

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J.Mike Ferrara
My first 20HD (SE Clone of the PVL70) had a badly misaligned red panel. My replacement 20HD has:
  • Horrendous color uniformity issues (see thread elsewhere)
  • Slight misalignment of the green panel (noticeable with white on black background)
  • 4 stuck blue pixels
I believe it's possible that 1-2 pixel offsets can be adjusted via the service menu, anything larger the entire light engine must be replaced. My 2nd 20HD goes back to SE, then on to Sanyo directly, for repair. I placed my order with SE back in August, received the 20HD the 1st of September - it's now December. :(
Eeee-gads! That's terrible. Maybe we need a thread on QC and responsiveness vis-a-vis these expensive PJ's we're buying and discussing.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
PEPAR,

Admittedly, I've had bad luck. There are folks who have no pixel defects, misalignment, or color uniformity issues. Nevertheless, the return rate on the PLV70/20HD has been higher than typical even for a new product. SE is unable to fix my problems (I've already sent it back once), so Sanyo will have to.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anyone have ANY luck getting through to someone at Sanyo? I have been calling all day, and have only gotten a voice mail recording and no calls back yet. Should I expect a call or do I have to get lucky and catch someone?

Annoyed....

Andy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I don't feel like a total amateur based on the fix for this problem, just a semi-amateur. The misconvergence was totally due to LENS SHIFT. The projector is ceiling mounted, and the machine was mounted off-level, with the lens shift at about 75% at the bottom of capacity. This clearly has detrimental effects. I have re-leveled the projector, moved the image more towards the center of the lens' shift, and that has taken care of the red pixel shift - the green is still off, but barely, maybe less than 1/2 a pixel.

I wonder if this is a common error for newbies with a projector with lens shift. Has anyone else seen this lens shift detrimentally affect their image? I read many of the earlier posts, and if I recall correctly there were several posts stating that lens shift had no effect on image. Any thoughts?

Also, as an aside, Projector People connected me to Sanyo almost immediately - both Sanyo and PP deserve kudos for the efficiency of their response (though Sanyo's came admittedly after I used PP as a middleman). Makes me think that Sanyo has gotten calls from newbies like me wondering, in a panic, what is wrong with their perfectly healthy projector.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
439 Posts
Well, the manual is a little lack luster with the actual "How-to" part of installing the projector. Although I've personally found the hardest part being getting the PJ centered from across the room when you don't have much for reference. I ended up using a laser lever to get my points. Then once it was mounted I used small level on the PJ to get it perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.