AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Panny DVHS deck since 1999. I have only recorded less than 60 movies and have probably played back less than half. My guess is that the first thing to go would probably be the video heads. I see that the Panasonic parts web site still has the video head/upper cylinder available for around $234.

Would it be smart to go head and order a replacement now while they are still available?

Note that my deck doesn't show any problems and is working great. I've only recorded on s-video tapes. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing long term for head wear.

Am I just being paranoid and I still have hundreds of tape record and playback cycles left before the heads go bad? I would hate for the heads to go bad and not be able to fix it because the part is no longer available.

Thanks for your feedback,

Cris

· Registered
2,141 Posts
The first thing that failed on mine was the tape loading mechanism. I got a cheap demo machine (minus the "digital card") and ordered the part from Panasonic so I now have a spare (and lots of other spare parts too!).

Given the frequency with which tapes get "stuck" pushing them in, I'd be more concerned with that failing first (and it is a cheap part if I remember).

· Registered
867 Posts
Panasonic is holding out on them Digital cards for the military's decks. I did end up getting one after talking to the right people and pulling a few strings. They are rebuilt ones. Their is no new units at all. The units on Ebay were sold without them becouse Panasonic pulled them to have avalable for their military contract. The person on Ebay selling them knew their would be none available and so did panasonic even though you could order one on their site or on the phone. They were listed as BACK ORDER. That was a big scam to get rid of them units.

· Registered
22,467 Posts
I jus saw one of these Panasonic HD decks, may have previously been rented, I'm not sure, might be new, for $699. At Spencers TV, Mesa

(and I'm not getting it - you go right ahead. HA!)

· Registered
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bruzonsky
I jus saw one of these Panasonic HD decks, may have previously been rented, I'm not sure, might be new, for $699. At Spencers TV, Mesa

(and I'm not getting it - you go right ahead. HA!)
That's a good price on that deck. These decks are the best out there! Why do you think our Military use them? Can you imagine them using a JVC 30K? NOT!

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Can someone explain what need the MILITARY has for a digital vhs vcr?? Also,does the PV-HD1000 have the ability to record SD programming digitally,or is it like the Mitsus that dont have any built in encoder/decoder?

· Registered
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Playdrv4me
Can someone explain what need the MILITARY has for a digital vhs vcr?? Also,does the PV-HD1000 have the ability to record SD programming digitally,or is it like the Mitsus that dont have any built in encoder/decoder?
They record and playback shooting of bombs and missels and other things in HD for review.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.