AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search,but could not find a answer. I would like to know if my power supply will handle two 30 GB harddrives? ( leftover from my harddrive update (120GB) ) Thank You. sammae

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Yes, but it is not worth the effort. Throw them away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats 60gbs? When you are retired and are on SS, you don't throw away anything. Sammae P.S. Is that North or South Jersey?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It's really isn't worth it. A 2 drive system works alright, but it's prone to failure. Whenever the Replay boots up, both drives need to spin up at almost the exact same time or else there could be a fatal crash which casuses you to lose all your shows. You'll also need to rig up a drive holder since the Replay only has the one. Plus, you need to get a Y power adapter and a 2 drive IDE cable (both are pretty cheap, but you still need to get em).

The extra heat is also a problem. You may need to add a fan to the Replay or you might get a shorter life from the unit.

Dual drives was a great idea back when large drives we're available and/or we're expensive. But now a days, it just isn't worth the hassle.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
If the guy is trying to economize, and he said he did, then it's not a bad thing to run a dual drive system.

I ran my showstopper with dual 80gb drives in it for over a year without trouble of any kind.

The thought I would throw out there is to make sure you toss the "ezbake" cover. You'll need to figure out some way to secure the second drive, as well. And maybe figure out a way to squeeze a small fan in there...

John

·
Registered
477 Posts
Turn one Replay on and the other one off using the front panel switches. The power button on the remote will now toggle between the two units.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts