AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this must have been brought up before, but for some reason the search is just not working for me.

I just did my first upgrade to a 20hr unit. Got a great deal on a 80GB at Staples. Followed the instructions on the rtvpatch page exactly. The program detected my hard drive as 81GB.

The patch was successful. I didn't copy over the mpeg partition since I didn't want to preserve my shows.

Fired up the new unit and noticed only 20hrs available! The recording works, so I believe the hard drive was patched correctly. I tried to set up recordings in excess of the 20hrs, and it just wouldn't let me.

So basically I've got an 80GB HD in there but it seems like the replay wants to believe only 20GB works. HELP!

I tried to reset factory defaults using 777-zones to no avail.

Any ideas?

TIA

·
Registered
171 Posts
post step by step what was done and I am sure we can figure it out..

what version of patch program used.. did you do a single system or a dual drive.

do you still have the origonal ? un modified

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Excuse me WildOne! for jumping in here.

I would perform the patch step again. Put the new drive back in your PC. Start RTVPatch - set 80 gig as target - choose patch - answer yes to all reset questions - unmount if using linux.

Boot it back up in the Showstopper and it should be good.

As a curiosity, if you have Window XP you can view the 80 gig partitioned at 20 gigs by right clicking on My Computer - Manage - Double click on Disk Management. You may have to check enable dynamic links. The end result will be a graphic view of the 300 meg system partition and the problem mpg partition at 20 gigs. After repatching the drive the second partition will be moved back utilizing all the drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I did as MikeyBoy suggested - redid the patch and everything shows up fine.

btw- the winXp tip is rather useful. It in fact did show me that I have a 305MB partition and a 20GB partition and the remaining ~60GB was not allocated. After the patch, it extended the mpeg partition.

Woohoo!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sorry to butt in but where's this RTVpatch page? I have a Panasonic 20hr unit and a new Maxtor 80gb hd I want to upgrade to. I checked the FAQ page but it seems rather outdated and I'd like some detailed, step-by-step instructions before I attempt anything. I'm no techie but have built a few PC's in my day so I'm pretty confident I can handle it is shown the way.

Thanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I did the same thing you did. I could not use the Linux boot disk version. I got the same problem that you did with my 80GB Maxtor hard drive. Even someone who is a Linux engineer tried to help me out and couldn't figure out why this was happening. THe Win2k/WinXP version worked like a charm though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.