AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are there any other modulators people can recommend? I see Thor has a single channel model for under $300 now and there are some cheaper ones on Ebay that look the same.

I have really cheap modulator that I paid about $100 for that sort of works but not with all tuners and I have a PVI Pro 1 that works pretty well but It is a lot more expensive than I would want to pay for a modulator again.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,655 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
It is interesting that the licensing costs - MPEG, Dolby, HDCP, Zenith/LG, etc., were long blamed for these hovering near the $1000 mark, and now they have dropped so much.

AliExpress has a very basic one for $219. Typical of their web site - you have to select the color as HDMI to see it....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847163905.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is interesting that the licensing costs - MPEG, Dolby, HDCP, Zenith/LG, etc., were long blamed for these hovering near the $1000 mark, and now they have dropped so much.

AliExpress has a very basic one for $219. Typical of their web site - you have to select the color as HDMI to see it....

I like those, makes for a nice compact rack if you have a bunch of them, just not enough feedback on how well they work.
I have that same modulator saved on my Ebay watch list but I am waiting to find reviews.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts

That looks promising. The modulation output stated in the description is ambiguous. Is it ATSC QAM or ATSC 8VSB or both? 8VSB is ATSC, OTA; QAM is SCTE, cable.

QUESTION:

If I mix OTA 8VSB signals with QAM signals from the modulator, can my TV tuner handle it if it is set to AIR?

This modulator looks more like the Thor Petit:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33015285409.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.1.73c140faJqJ85U&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.128125.0&scm_id=1007.13338.128125.0&scm-url=1007.13338.128125.0&pvid=cec900d5-9431-43b4-907b-52dc64e08f1b

also:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATSC-modulator-1-Route-HDMI-1080P-HD-to-ATSC-AC3-audio-Ethernet-Panel-Setting/273847174497?hash=item3fc2904561:g:QcQAAOSwMrJc3Bx3

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I like those, makes for a nice compact rack if you have a bunch of them, just not enough feedback on how well they work.
I have that same modulator saved on my Ebay watch list but I am waiting to find reviews.
Yes, not enough feedback. As usual, someone will have to be the first tester (guinea pig) for us.

Dictionary
guin·ea pig

/ˈɡinē ˌpiɡ/

noun
noun: guinea pig; plural noun: guinea pigs; noun: guineapig; plural noun: guineapigs

1. 1.
    a tailless South American rodent of the cavy family. Originally raised for food, it no longer occurs in the wild and is now typically kept as a pet or for laboratory research.
  2. 2.
    a person or thing used as a subject for experiment.
    "we were used as guinea pigs to test the effects of radiation on human beings"

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
If I mix OTA 8VSB signals with QAM signals from the modulator, can my TV tuner handle it if it is set to AIR?
Some TV tuners (LG, for instance) can handle it, so I guess you'd just have to try it and see.

I have a cheap iView STB that I wanted to clear the channel memory on, so I set it to Cable and ran a full scan, expecting nothing since it was connected to OTA signals. RF 2-13 are the same frequencies for OTA and cable, but I figured it would ignore the 8VSB modulation and only scan in (nonexistent) QAM signals, leaving me with an empty channel list. But surprisingly, it still picked up my VHF OTA channels! So apparently it will tune either modulation in either setting. The Cable/Air setting just controls which frequencies to scan for channels 14 and up.

An iView (and presumably other Mstar-based tuners like HomeWorx, ViewTV, etc.) can also add Cable channels to an OTA channel list. You just have to switch it to Cable and do a manual scan of the QAM channel you wanted to add.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Some TV tuners (LG, for instance) can handle it, so I guess you'd just have to try it and see.
Very interesting. Thank you for your answer based on your extensive experience with converter boxes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried

I admit I tried to go cheap, I bought one of Thor, but it did not work. I could not connect with all my televisions, just some of them. it was just cheap. I guess that the extra money you pay for is called quality. I saw another forum where other customers could not connect to all Tvs so I guess it's not just me is a bug of Thor. Bought Minimod 2 and connected all my Tv first try.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I admit I tried to go cheap, I bought one of Thor, but it did not work. I could not connect with all my televisions, just some of them. it was just cheap. I guess that the extra money you pay for is called quality. I saw another forum where other customers could not connect to all Tvs so I guess it's not just me is a bug of Thor. Bought Minimod 2 and connected all my Tv first try.
Please give me the link to the forum where other customers had a problem connecting the Thor to their TVs. Since I have a Thor that so far is working well for me, I would like to know about it.

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
after making programming changes with the MicroMod, I have seen where some TV's in the house do not pick up the channel even after a rescan
however a hard reboot of the TV (pull AC power plug/wait 10 seconds or so, plug back in/ rescan) may resolve the issue

Reactions: rabbit73

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like Joshua is doing free Promo's for the company he works for, meanwhile trashing another companies units that work terrific.

·
Registered
16,549 Posts
And you know that how?

Reactions: markrubin

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
help with PVI 2 ch modulator please

I have 3 PVI 2 ch modulators in series that are working well except the last modulator loses input signal on one channel after a few seconds of use: and when I reverse input sources, the same thing happens on the other channel
I have checked all settings/ tried different channel assignments etc: the GUI shows no input signal present
if I reboot the modulator, both channels will work for about 10 seconds, then 1 ch drops out: other ch works OK
all common settings are the same as the other modulators where both channels work normally

any ideas? tia

·
Registered
896 Posts

I have 3 PVI 2 ch modulators in series that are working well except the last modulator loses input signal on one channel after a few seconds of use: and when I reverse input sources, the same thing happens on the other channel
I have checked all settings/ tried different channel assignments etc: the GUI shows no input signal present
if I reboot the modulator, both channels will work for about 10 seconds, then 1 ch drops out: other ch works OK
all common settings are the same as the other modulators where both channels work normally

any ideas? tia

How do you use modulators in series? I don't understand what that means.

·
Registered
546 Posts

any ideas? tia
That should work, since the signal is just passed through from the first PVI modulator to the next, to the last. You could try using a 3 (or 4) way splitter in reverse, feeding the output of each PVI to one "out" port of the splitter, and the "in" port of the splitter to whatever the last PVI is now connected to.

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
How do you use modulators in series? I don't understand what that means.
the RF output of each modulator is fed into the RF input of the next modulator to allow all the modulated channels to be on one RF connection

That should work, since the signal is just passed through from the first PVI modulator to the next, to the last. You could try using a 3 (or 4) way splitter in reverse, feeding the output of each PVI to one "out" port of the splitter, and the "in" port of the splitter to whatever the last PVI is now connected to.
that is essentially what each modulator does: there is a loss of a few DB going through each unit which I can compensate for by adjusting the RF output level (adjustable -30 to - 10db, default setting is -16 db) of each modulator: i.e. the last modulator is set to the highest output level (-10db). I think separate splitters would have similar or greater losses.
I will try the one modulator that is giving me trouble as standalone just to be sure that is not the issue but since it is losing input signal I think there is something else going on

·
Registered
896 Posts
the RF output of each modulator is fed into the RF input of the next modulator to allow all the modulated channels to be on one RF connection

I will try the one modulator that is giving me trouble as standalone just to be sure that is not the issue but since it is losing input signal I think there is something else going on

I feed an OTA signal and two modulators each into a three way splitter/combiner (3 in, one out) and then send out the resulting "merge."
Obviously have to pay attention to signal levels and make sure no modulated channels step on an OTA channel. Very strange problem. Let us know how it all works out.
Balance is really important, because a modulator can be so strong that it plays havoc on other channels.

·
Registered
546 Posts

that is essentially what each modulator does: there is a loss of a few DB going through each unit which I can compensate for by adjusting the RF output level (adjustable -30 to - 10db, default setting is -16 db) of each modulator: i.e. the last modulator is set to the highest output level (-10db). I think separate splitters would have similar or greater losses.
The possible difference between daisy-chaining the 3 units, and testing by feeding them separately to a splitter (used as a combiner) - is it that the actual isolation within a unit between the input and combined output is not really known. Therefore the signal from the first unit in the chain may feed into the output stage of the second, and the signal from the first two may feed into the output stage of the third. That could potentially cause some sort of intermod or overload issue. This is a simple quick check to rule that out.

181 - 200 of 202 Posts