AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like the Sanyo projectors have been getting a large amount of praise but also a fair amount of criticism about issues that seem like they could be addressed with some add-ons, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these combinations.

One of the biggest concerns about the PVL-60 appears to be the shortcomings of the internal scaler. Wouldn't this problem effectively disappear if driven by an HTPC for all non HDTV material? (I don't remember any complaints about HDTV processing). From the DVD Big Picture forum, it sounds like at least one or two people have had some success with the projector and Powerstrip.

And with the XP18N and XP21N, two questions that I've seen multiple people ask are whether or not the blacks are too bright given the 2000/2500 lumens, and whether or not the pixel structure is too visible. Wouldn't the ISCOII lens help with both of these problems by spreading the lumens across a larger area, making them effectively 1500/1875 lumen 16:9 projectors, and by decreasing the void area between the pixels? I don't remember what the options are for playing HDTV material through this type of a setup, though.

Am I right in thinking that these add-ons make particular sense for these projectors? If so, has anyone done any comparison between a PVL-60 with an HTPC vs. an XP18N/XP21N with an HTPC and an ISCOII?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.