AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Tom Strade now has a SDI mod for the TIVO now-- great work! I had been thinking about adding DSS and PVR to my system. But I could not bear to watch an S-Video signal on my CRT -- even through my NRS -- Component just comes through so much better.

If I went the SDI route it would be a MAJOR upgrade, including video processor and DVD player and not the TIVO. Which I can't afford right now. So does anyone know if it is possible to modify a PVR (UTV or Tivo)to output 480i component? I assume that the component signal must be in there somewhere prior to conversion to s-video. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saw that. Unfortunately, the NRS will not scale 480p. I wonder if it is worth trying to to find a way to down convert 480p to 480i component and running it back through the NRS and upscaling to 720p -- starting to sound like a bit of a kludge:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
Gregor:

Do you really see a big improvement on DSS signals thru component vs S-video?

LJG

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not yet have DSS -- but I definitely see a big difference on DVD and cable sources and I have friend with DSS and an NRS. He is using a Panasonic DSS HD receiver with a 480i component output (for standard definition material) and there is a very noticable improvement with this receiver on Component oover s-video. Anyone else have direct exerience with DSS component vs. S-video?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.